Woooo! Final Cut Studio 2!

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by GoGoSamGo, Apr 15, 2007.

1. GoGoSamGo macrumors member

I don't know about you, but I can't wait! I had a quick question for anyone who could possibly answer this. My film partner and I work together in film, and we share each others equipment. When Final Cut Studio came out we both decided to split the price of it and purchase it to put on both of our computers. I really never thought of this until now, but is there any legal issues to this? I don't know how software like this works, such as if you're allowed to put it on more than one computer (I know this is probably a stupid question but I'm curious). We both can't wait to upgrade to Final Cut Studio 2, but would we be able to upgrade if we both have the same Final Cut Studio with the same key installed on our computers? Sorry I don't know much about how installing and upgrading software like this works and what legal issues come into play, so if anyone could help my confusion that would be great. Thanks

2. bigbossbmb macrumors 68000

bigbossbmb

I believe you can install the software on more than one computer, like to put it on a desktop and a laptop. However you are not allowed to run the software on multiple computers at the same time.

3. Rasheem macrumors regular

Legally, I dont believe your aloud to split the price between two buddies for one version(You could get a group license). However I dont think you will run into any problems running the software on two computers.

4. AliensAreFuzzy macrumors 68000

AliensAreFuzzy

Yeah, as long as you aren't running the software at the same time I don't think it's a problem. Besides, you actually can't run it at the same time on two machines on the same network. I left it running on a desktop one time and tried to open it on my laptop and I got a message telling me I couldn't open FCP whlie it was running somewhere else.

5. GoGoSamGo thread starter macrumors member

Dang, oh well I suppose I'll purchase my own copy from Apple for $699 (student discount price), does anyone know if I do purchase the student discount price can I upgrade with the upgrade price in the future? Or you can't upgrade with the upgrade price in the future?

6. bigbossbmb macrumors 68000

bigbossbmb

You need to have a retail license to do any upgrades. With academic, you have to rebuy the entire package.

7. Bob Jovi macrumors regular

should FCS2 run at the same speed on my macbook as FSC???

8. polyethyleneguy macrumors member

Are you allowed to make profit from videos utilizing Final Cut Pro if you are using the Academic version? Or is it for practice/non-profit situations only?

9. P-Worm macrumors 68020

P-Worm

I'm pretty sure that you can use it for commercial use like the full version. The only real limitation is that you can't upgrade it.

P-Worm

10. bigbossbmb macrumors 68000

bigbossbmb

Nope, it is a not for profit license only. 99% sure on that.

11. richmon22 macrumors member

i would say that you can run at the same time, just don' hook one up to the network when your trying to uses it at the same time (thats what i do).

12. wizwaz3 macrumors 6502a

wizwaz3

But how could they tell? I don't think thats right because it's the same software, just cheaper for academic use.

13. bigbossbmb macrumors 68000

bigbossbmb

they can't really tell, but it is part of the user license agreement. It is the same software. but the key thing is that it is for academic purposes (not for profit).

14. Breedlover macrumors newbie

For My Son

Can my son run FCS2 on an imac if I get him one that is maxed out? 4GB ram, 256K video ram.

I'd appreciate any input

15. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

specs?
    I run FCS2 on my imac (see sig for specs) with no problems granted i don't do anything insane on mine. Depends on how intense he plans to get with it.

16. pprior macrumors 65816

Just because they can't tell doesn't make it right.

It's cheaper partly because of those types of restrictions.

If you don't agree with the restrictions, you don't buy the product....

17. mcpryon2 macrumors 6502

mcpryon2

If you look in the terms of service you'll find that the academic version only refers to qualifications to buy the software, it doesn't say anything about use. It's not worded nearly as specifically as say...Avid's Media Composer, where you will have the wrath of god hammered down on you if you use the Academic license for commercial use. Of course, their academic discount is like 85%.

You can install FCS2 on one laptop and one desktop that you own. That's pretty much exactly what it says in the terms.

18. -DH macrumors 65816

FCS can be installed on 1 (one) laptop and 1 (one) desktop computer if they are both owned by the same person or entity and as long as only one is in use at a time.

Academic versions are NOT upgradeable, but they do qualify for the free updates. The only exception to this was during the 'crossover' offer from Apple (primarily intended for those migrating to an Intel Mac).

There are no restrictions to the types of programs you produce with the software - no restrictions on commercial use. However, you have to qualify as a student or instructor in order to legally purchase an academic version.

FCS will run on an iMac. But due to it's very limited expandability, working with some broadcast formats would be out of the question. No way to interface with the types of hard drives needed for high data rate demand video formats.

FCS is supported by Apple on a MacBook Pro - but is NOT supported on a MacBook, MacBook Air or MacMini, primarily due to their integrated graphics card. That isn't to say FCP won't run on one of the Macs mentioned ... but Color and Motion will not perform well, if at all.

-DH