woooo, I'm gettin' one!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by WindowsOrMac, Mar 16, 2008.

1. WindowsOrMac macrumors newbie

Hey.... so, my PC died and I just don't want to replace another motherboard - I lost ALL of my recent work (9 months of Photography and Animation). I'll be booting Vista and OS X but I'm only going to be using Vista for 3DS Max and games that require DirectX (mainly TF2). After the Penryn update I figured I'd finally go with the OS X.

17" Hi-Res NON-Glossy
    2.6GHz
    2GB (upgrading to that Corsair 4GB pack)
    200gb 7200rm drive (opted for speed over capacity because I'll have a bunch of externals)

1TB Time Capsule - I'm determined to never lose anything ever again....

w.

2. sjb macrumors regular

Good for you! I'm sure you'll love it. I have a new Penryn MBP (15in though, I just can't carry a 17 around), and it is awesome! I was a bit apprehensive at first, but I'm glad I got it now.

Enjoy your new machine!

3. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

Sorry about the loss. I am curious though as to how you could lose all that if it's non-hard drive related problem? Shouldn't you be able to put the hard drive with all your work into another computer?

Thought you might want to know, the performance of the 200gig 7200rpm performance isn't as fast as the larger 320gig 5400rpm drives.
    http://www23.tomshardware.com/storage25.html?modelx=33&model1=1083&model2=993&chart=149

Your best bet would be to go with the standard drive and buy a larger drive yourself. There is one caveat though, and that you'll have to pay to have that drive installed by an Apple Service Technician (which ain't cheap).

4. WindowsOrMac thread starter macrumors newbie

oh snap, I didn't know that it wasn't as fast a drive! hmm, still hasn't shipped, do you think its possible to change the order?

Also, files are lost because the boot sector AND the backup bootsector to my main HD got corrupted. I bought a brand new 1tb drive and tried to install windows, kept blue screening, I've had to flash the bios on the mobo several times. Just finally getting rid of all the hassle. HOPEFULLY, JUST HOPEFULLY, I will be able to put the thing in an external enclosure and use some recovery software on the drive, problem is, if windows won't recognize the drive, I'm pretty much screwed...

w.