worcester sauce crisps...

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
What is Sudan I?

Sudan I is a red dye that is used for colouring solvents, oils, waxes, petrol, and shoe and floor polishes. It is not allowed to be added to food in the UK and the rest of the EU.
mmmm, sounds tasty :D

so, this reminds me of the red dye scare that made all the red M&Ms disappear in the states for a while till they found a replacement....is it the same thing or do we over here on the other side of the pond have to wait for the FDA to ban it as well?

D

V.A.Toss

macrumors regular
Feb 4, 2003
virividox said:
dont u need to consume like tons and tons and tons of that to actually get cancer!!!
Well yeah, but your forgetting some of us are from manchester......

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
virividox said:
dont u need to consume like tons and tons and tons of that to actually get cancer!!!
The point is, there is no safe established dose for this. There are plenty of compounds that are fatal in microgram dosages. The other tricky bit is that the incubation time may be years or decades. What the agencies are saying about this stuff is that it has not been proven safe at any level of consumption.

L

Lau

Mr. Anderson, according to page 4 of yesterday's Guardian, Sudan 1 was banned in the US in 1918. I guess we're a bit behind the times over here :eek:

garybUK

Jun 3, 2002
V.A.Toss said:
Well yeah, but your forgetting some of us are from manchester......
Ay im from manchester!! leave worcester sause alone its nice.. i like it on my cheese on toast in the morning :)

krollster

macrumors member
Jul 24, 2002
London
I wonder if that's the same cancer causing chemical that caused Red Freddo Frogs to be removed from the shelves in Aus back in the 90's? The newer "safe" ones just aren't the same...

Black&Tan

macrumors 6502a
Mar 4, 2004
Those were gooood. Crisps/chips are finally getting unique flavours here in the US, but nowhere near what you can buy in the UK. Never did acquire a taste for the prawn crisps....

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
Lau said:
Mr. Anderson, according to page 4 of yesterday's Guardian, Sudan 1 was banned in the US in 1918. I guess we're a bit behind the times over here :eek:
It's comforting to know that Sudan 1 was banned by the US back in 1918. This isn't good news for PepsiCo. Not sure that I would have even liked this snack, not rally into highly spicy foods.

Makosuke

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2001
The Cool Part of CA, USA
Mr. Anderson said:
so, this reminds me of the red dye scare that made all the red M&Ms disappear in the states for a while till they found a replacement...
Actually, if memory serves, although the M&Ms either didn't even use the culprit dye or there was an acceptable replacement immediately available, they stopped making them anyway just to placate nervous consumers who were suddenly down on red entirely. They brought them back recently because it'd been so long nobody even remembered the issue anymore, so there was no PR problem.

I see a lot of bizarre crunchy snack food flavors in Japanese munchies, but I can't say many appeal to me--shrimp is ok, but the pancake- or strawberry-flavored che-tos aren't so hot. The recent US shot at... what was it, Holiday Hot Chocolate Chex Mix?... was rather a bust as well.. ick.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.