Word 08 crashes when recording

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Yooper39, Mar 3, 2009.

1. Yooper39 macrumors newbie

MS Word keeps crashing intermittently when recording. I've lost hours of class lectures because of this glitch. :mad:

Any idea what causes this?

I'll be happy when manufactures (PC and Apple) develop computers that don't crash all of the time when doing basic tasks like word processing! :mad:

I'm tired of paying to be a beta tester for buggy Microsoft software!! :mad:

2. nadyne macrumors 6502a

What version of Word 2008 are you using? (Go to the Word menu, and select "About Word" to see which.) The latest version is, as of this writing, 12.1.5. If you're not on the latest and greatest, please update -- we've done a lot of work to improve stability and performance.

How long does Word record before it crashes? How big is your Word document? Are you saving to .doc or .docx?

Regards,
    Nadyne.

3. jca488 macrumors newbie

crashhhh

I have the same issue!!!!
    i Have 12.1.5.... for nothing.
    ARGGG why did i pay so much for software that keeps crashing.
    I have lost lots of hours of lectures
    oh and excel is not shy of this problem either when you are handling graphs. iwork does not equal good compatibilty but at least is stable enough not to crash/make me lose lots of hours of work!
    :mad:

4. Yooper39 thread starter macrumors newbie

Nadyne,

Thanks for the response and sorry I sounded kinda mad on that first post. :eek: I am using 12.1.5 with the latest updates and have the recording quality set low to minimize file size. Using the word notebook view format, I normally two days worth of lectures on one file which usually ends up around 20MB in size. I am saving these notes in .docx format.

It normally happens when I go to stop the recording at break or at the end of class and I've already done 60-90 minutes of recording. I've been able to circumvent the problem by saving frequently while its recording, but the last time I did that it and it crashed (that dreaful pinwheel that won't go away) I lost the entire recording.

Any ideas would be appreciated. Because of this glitch I cannot continue to use word for note taking purposes while recording lectures. :(

5. nadyne macrumors 6502a

If you're using it for taking notes in class, I'm going to assume that you're probably not doing anything interesting with your text to make your file size all that big. In other words, it's probably the audio file that's making the file so big.

My first recommendation is to have each day be a single file, instead of putting two days into one document. That will (roughly) halve the file size, which should prevent a lot of the problems you're having.

You can also (if possible) increase your RAM, which will help your Mac avoid pagination issues when trying to write a single audio file that large.

Regards,
    Nadyne.