Word 2008: Can I adjust header side margins?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by bsheridan, Mar 22, 2009.

1. bsheridan macrumors 6502

bsheridan

I am not sure if this is possible but cannot find an option for it;

Is it possible to adjust the header/ footer side margins independently from the main body's margins?

I know you can adjust the margins for 'header from top' and 'footer from bottom', but I would like to have my header to go right to the edge of the page instead of remain within the 3cm from edge margins I have set for the main body.

Another question if anyone can help is how can I write in a header say, Mr.Brown on the left hand side and on the same line, but on the right hand side, write the date?

thanks for reading b.

2. ergdegdeg Moderator emeritus

ergdegdeg

3. Gray-Wolf macrumors 68030

Gray-Wolf

For the first, try this -

3rd, also make use of the Word help, as it links online and provides a lot of info.

Attached Files:

4. bsheridan thread starter macrumors 6502

bsheridan

It is a roundabout way but it can become untidy/ assymetric as different lengths of text needed individual adjustments. Tab measures from the left, whereas it would be ideal if I could input from the right.

I have tried this but no luck. The help page doesn't seem to correlate with the options Word 2008 lists. The only viable options I have are apply to whole document or apply to this point forward.
    Doesn't seem to involve header text layout.

Thanks for your help guys. :)

5. Gray-Wolf macrumors 68030

Gray-Wolf

You can edit it, as far as changing it from edge to edge.

Attached Files:

6. ergdegdeg Moderator emeritus

ergdegdeg

Have you even tried it? The last time I checked, tab worked differently in the header. You start with the alignment on the left, tab once the text to follow is centered, tab once more and the text is aligned to the right.

7. bsheridan thread starter macrumors 6502

bsheridan

Yes I have being trying. Text input starts on the left, hit tab and it moves to centre, hit tab again and it moves to the right, but all within the page margins.
    You can keep hitting tab but any writing thereafter will just go off the page (on the right).

This won't help with having separate side margins for the headers/footers and the main body.