Word 2008 Compatibility Issue

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by agrats84, Feb 6, 2008.

1. agrats84 macrumors member

When I type something in Word on my mac, save it to my flash drive as '2000-2004' for Windows, and then open it with Word 2003 (margins being the same), it appears that the text takes up much more room on the screen. In some cases a single page on my mac will take up 1.5 pages in Windows. Margins and text size are set to the exact same! It is annoying to have to reformat every time I go back and forth.

2. hodgjy macrumors 6502

What font are you using? It's possible, that if you're using a font that's in Office 2008 that's not in Office 2003 (Win), some sort of conversion is taking place that is bastardizing your fonts and spacings.

3. agrats84 thread starter macrumors member

I'm using the same font that can be found in both. (Footlight)

4. hodgjy macrumors 6502

I did a quick test and I think I have a diagnosis. I have Office 2008 Mac and Office 2002 Win. I made a document using Calibri font in Office 2008 and then tried opening it in Office 2002. All of the formatting was amuck. While Office 2002 can handle Calibri, it's not an installed true type font on my Windows system (doesn't have the TT next to font name in font menu). When I switched the font to Arial, the original spacing came back. So, I discovered that if I make a document using the same true type font that both systems recognize as true type, all spacing and formatting are preserved.

5. agrats84 thread starter macrumors member