Word 2008 crashes when inserting comments - Please Help!

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by nope7308, Nov 7, 2009.

1. nope7308 macrumors 65816

Oct 6, 2008
    Ontario, Canada
    When I'm grading students' papers, I insert comments to leave constructive feedback. However, after I grade an x amount of papers, Word 2008 crashes and I lose some of the comments in the open document. It's impossible to predict when Word will crash - sometimes it's after 2 papers, other times it's after 10. I changed the settings so Word saves the document every minute, but I inevitably lose some of my comments. This only seems to occur when I'm grading papers. Sometime it crashes when I try to insert a comment, sometimes it crashes when I try to save the document, and sometimes it crashes for no apparent reason (as I'm reading the essay).

I have no idea what's causing Word to crash. This is extremely frustrating and time consuming, so I would appreciate any/all feedback.

Thanks for your help!
  2. cricketbird macrumors member

Feb 17, 2008
    The obvious - have you checked for updates to Office? There have been a few stability updates since it was released. in Word, Help > Check for Updates

Some other common fixes:
    Delete the normal template. Word will automatically rebuild it.
    Delete .plist files for word

When I use MacSpeech Dictate + Word, I get lots of Word crashes. Try not using other software at the same time and see if things improve.

Create a new user account. Log in and do your editing there.
    If you have the same problems, it's a problem with your Office install. Try un-installing and re-installing Office.

If the problems go away on the new account, it's probably something going on with your local account. Try deleting preferences and such.
  3. Peter.L macrumors newbie

Jan 12, 2010
    Solution that worked for me

Try to turn off spell checking and grammar checking under Word - Alternative
    For me it was the solution.