Word 2008 formatting (indent/outdent) problem

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by jackblackaust, Oct 15, 2009.

1. jackblackaust macrumors newbie

I have a formatting problem with Word 2008.
    I write advices using numbered and indented paragraphs and subparagraphs. With Word 2008, if I change the indentation level (increase or decrease) of a single paragraph, every other paragraph in the document follows suit. It is necessary to press [Apple=X] so as to get the other paragraphs to revert to their previous level and format.
    This is irritating, but if I overlook the [Apple=X] step, some time later I find that the formatting of paragraphs that were out of sight has been ruined.
    I have never been able to understand the way Word’s formatting protocols work (they seem to be associated with the carriage return (^p)), but this behaviour is too much. I am ready to give up, and revert to Word 2004.
    Is there a way to switch off this behaviour?

2. stujmac26 macrumors regular

Let me correct that for you....

There that's more like it!

For what it's worth I feel your pain.

3. jackblackaust thread starter macrumors newbie

4. jackblackaust thread starter macrumors newbie

Not sure that I understand, but thank you for the sympathy.
    To clarify:
    I suspect the issue has something to do with Styles, and that when I change the indentation level of a paragraph, Word is interpreting this as an attempt to change the underlying style, and so changes every paragraph based on the same style. Just a guess. I would be grateful for some insight that allowed me to disable this behaviour.

5. atamer macrumors newbie

I can hear you.

I just stumbled onto the same problem today with bulleted lists. If I remove the bulleting from the last paragraph, it goes from the previous ones as well. Highly irritating, but will be repaired by clicking the Undo arrow. (or its keyboard shortcut apparently).

6. stujmac26 macrumors regular

Sorry - to clarify, what I meant was that Word is a terrible, terrible application - on Windows or OS/X - and so over the years I have stopped even attempting to figure out why it does things and just put up with them. Kudos to you for trying!

7. jackblackaust thread starter macrumors newbie