Word 2008 high CPU usage = crazy fan activity

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by MerrieLu, Jul 27, 2008.

1. MerrieLu macrumors newbie

Whenever I run Word for more than 10 minutes my fans start going crazy and Word uses about 89% CPU. My fans usually never turn on otherwise and it really sounds like the poor thing is going to explode any minute. :eek:

Here are my specs:

Model Name: MacBook
    Model Identifier: MacBook3,1
    Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
    Processor Speed: 2.2 GHz
    Number Of Processors: 1
    Total Number Of Cores: 2
    L2 Cache: 4 MB
    Memory: 2 GB
    Bus Speed: 800 MHz

MS Word 2008 Student Edition

I have heard that it has something to do with spotlight. But I really don't have a clue what I am doing. PLEASE HELP! :confused:

2. Muncher macrumors 65816

Muncher

Try Applications > Disk Utility > Click on your main drive > Repair Permissions. That could do something, and it never hurts to do this about once a month.

3. MerrieLu thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you for the suggestion, but it didn't seem to help :(
    Anyone else got any ideas? I've also posted on the "Mactopia" website but they seem to be somwhat useless.

4. tmelvin macrumors 6502

tmelvin

I used Word for hours at a time, and no change in fan speed, etc.

Did you update Office? There's a 12.1.1 update I believe. If not, I'd update it to the latest revs and then retry.

5. MerrieLu thread starter macrumors newbie

Word is set to update automatically and I am already running version 12.1.1.
    I should also mention that the CPU usage is only high when I am looking at a document. If I bring another program to the front, it goes right down under 10%. Otherwise, I could show you guys a screenshot.
    Anybody else got some suggestions? Thanks!

6. MerrieLu thread starter macrumors newbie

7. Father Jack macrumors 68020

Father Jack

Surely it must be something other than Word that's taxing your system, after all any old system should run a WP program without breaking into a sweat .... :confused:

8. MerrieLu thread starter macrumors newbie

AHA!

If I turn the "Check grammar as you type" option off, the CPU goes back down to under 10%! Turn it back on and it shoots back up to 90%.
    It must have to do with the fact that I am writing in German and I guess, Word just doesn't like it.
    Well, that sucks. Thanks MS for the downgrade from 2004.

9. Muncher macrumors 65816

Muncher

That's just lame, MS. :mad::D:rolleyes:

10. Sir Timm macrumors newbie

Sir Timm

I have the identical crazy-fan problem. Only difference: I had it when writing in English, though word was set to German as standard language for spelling an grammar: 80 to 90% CPU usage.
    Now that I have changed the standard language to English, it's a little less, around 40% which does not cause the fan to go wild any more.
    As soon as I switch online grammar check off, the CPU usage goes down to 5 - 8%.
    Bad thing about this: it's not just the annoyance by the fan but also the battery, that's down in no time if CPU usage is high all the time.

11. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

12. jeffreyf macrumors newbie

Thank you!

I just joined the forums to say thank you for figuring this out.

I have a MBP with 4 gigs of ram, and Word was still using 98%+ of my CPU at times. Turning off grammar check as I type shot this down to under 10%.

13. AQP88 macrumors newbie

CPU problem

I have the same crazy-fan problem. I turn the "Check grammar as you type" option off, but nothing changes. I reinstall office 2008 3 time already, and still giving me the fan problem. Any suggestions???? Help please!!!!