Word 2008 line spacing frustration [Solved]

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by PlaceofDis, Jul 8, 2008.

1. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

i'm having this very annoying problem with Word 2008, and i really don't want to have to go find my 2004 copy and install that to avoid this, and i'd like to be able to fix it, if at all possible.

basically here is the issue, it happens on both my Macbook and my iMac, btw; i write a lot of poetry, and when typing it up in 2008 the page double spaces the line breaks rather than keeping it single spaced, yet the page is formatted for single space. if a line were to go to the end of the page, it single spaces itself.

i want it formatted, and to stay single spaced through the line breaks.

has anyone else run into this problem?

i hope i'm making sense, if not i'll post screenshots.

2. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

Screen shot would be nice, but have you tried a different font as well?

3. PlaceofDis thread starter macrumors Core

hehe, i figured it out. :eek: but this is what it looked like in any event. after a bit of digging i found that it treats any line break as a paragraph, which i suppose makes sense and the default was set to space it by 10pts after each paragraph, basically the same width as a double spaced line. makes no sense that this is default though.

Attached Files:

4. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

Good job, now we must see some of that poetry! :D

5. PlaceofDis thread starter macrumors Core

a bit of it has been posted in the past, but more will be forthcoming, don't worry.

6. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Hard return = paragraph break
    Soft return = line break = Shift + Return

So say if you format your paragraphs with a 6pt 'space after' (format paragraph) which will place a 6pt space after every hard return, then to avoid that, you use a soft return. :)

7. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

Also, you can change this behavior by going to Format > Paragraph, and checking "Don't add space between paragraphs of the same style."