Word 2008 not displaying images?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by dubbed82, Feb 27, 2008.

1. dubbed82 macrumors member

ever since i installed word 2008, images are not being displayed. they show up in the preview mode in finder, but when i open the document in word or textedit, the images are not there. anyone know what's going on?? may have to go back to office 2004 if i can't figure this out.

2. dubbed82 thread starter macrumors member

please does anyone know what the problem could be, or what i could try to fix it? it's really important that i get word working properly.

is it possible to downgrade only word to 2004, but keep the rest of office 2008?

3. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

What is the format of the embedded images?

Word 2008 can happily coexist with Word 2004 or any number of other Mac versions.

4. dubbed82 thread starter macrumors member

they are just normal jpegs i assume. my friend who also has office 2008 has the images show up fine, so i'm thinking there's a setting or something?? although not sure why there would be a setting to turn off images. and i can see the images using quicklook in finder! aahh so frustrating.

so i can just install ms word 2004 without removing 2008?

5. Glenny2lappies macrumors 6502

Do they show up in Print Layout but not in Draft Layout?

If so, click on the image and look at the Format Picture options.

Other ideas: the source file's in a format Word doesn't understand.

Try creating a document and dropping in an image -- to check that it's not something specific to your files.

Finally; Word has a ton of bugs just like the rest of Office 2008. I've gone back to Word 2004 as it's more reliable, and in some ways is quicker.

6. dubbed82 thread starter macrumors member

thanks for your ideas.
    images do not show up in either print layout or draft views.
    dropping in an image into a document works fine.

i installed word 2004 and it works great, but its just frustrating that i can't figure out why images won't show up in word 2008.

7. DEMARnDC macrumors newbie

Images not showing up fixed

I had same issue....

Under Preferences:

uncheck the "show picture's placeholders" option.

it works now.

odd thing is I didnt check that for sure... and I had other friends who installed and didnt get this by default... so why some of us are is odd.

8. jyll2008 macrumors newbie

Word 2008 not displaying images

Thank you DEMARnDC!!!!!

9. waynerrr macrumors newbie

word document done on a mac would not display pics on a pc

I had a connected issue. where Pictures in word on a mac don't display on a pc. I investigated this.

The solution for me (can't say whether this will sort out the problem for you) was

The problem occurs if you drag the image from the internet straight into word. Then the picture will not embed properly. The rule to remember is always drag a picture from the internet to desktop first. It will then embed itself properly

2nd problem
    images in word not showing on print preview or when printing on a apple mac applemac
    If images in word not showing on print preview or when printing

mac procedure (im sure you can translate this for PC )

1) "word" "preferences"
    2) in the print section make sure include drawing objects box is ticked
    3) if its greyed out (no access to change it) then save document under another name then open new document and follow procedure