Word 2008, spotlight not indexing documents

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Schtibbie, Jun 29, 2008.

1. Schtibbie macrumors 6502

I've seen this posted elsewhere on the web (without good answers) and I just cannot believe such a *gigantic* bug isn't fixed. Word 2008 is pretty much unusable to my wife and I - at least the docx Word files are - because spotlight doesn't seem to be able to search within the files.

We have a lot of files and don't always memorize the filename or where we put it. We shouldn't HAVE to! Spotlight should take care of this. I want to see all the docs where I mentioned "triathlon" in them. It doesn't work!

Anyway, I know Microsoft was responsible for coding an indexer. Anyone know if they did? ETA on the fix?

2. Schtibbie thread starter macrumors 6502

..bump..

So, is nobody else affected by this issue? Perhaps I just have a problem on my end? I'm wondering if folks are simply forcing their Word2008 to not save in that newer docx format - or maybe searching in spotlight by content isn't as common as I'd think. I'd hate to think I have to "cripple" the app by reverting to an older file format just to get spotlight to work with it.

Anyway, how could I get Microsoft to look at this without paying $45 for support?

3. arnoota macrumors newbie

I have this problem too, but still can't find a solution...