Word 2008 unsaved doc that crashes. Is there a temp/autosave file?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by lokiju, May 26, 2010.

1. lokiju macrumors 6502

I have a co-worker that took a ton of notes as I went along and did the "driving" of installing some new server/app and we were going to use that to do the next build. Well it looks like he never hit save one time after starting the doc and then his MBP crashed and it's all gone.

Is there an autosave or temp file created somewhere that it'd be possible to recover this from?

He's running 10.6/snow leopard fwiw.

Thanks.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Whatever they have set in Word > Preferences > File Locations > AutoRecover files

3. Gregg2 macrumors 603

Hey! I followed that trail and discovered no location was assigned. So, I assigned one. Then I looked at the Save panel. Save AutoRecover info was checked and set to 10 minutes. Now, maybe it wasn't checked before I specified a location.(?) But, there's also a "backup copy" option. So what's the difference? And was AutoRecover doing anything before I assigned a location?

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

AutoRecover typically saves files with a filename like "AutoRecovery save of Document1" and no file type. So just search your drive for any file beginning with "AutoRecovery save of"

5. lbwhou macrumors newbie

Word 2008 unsaved doc that crashes. Is there a temp/autosave file?

Word crashed this afternoon and I thought I lost two hours of work. I looked for the autosave file(s) as I have the features set at 10 minutes in preferences. Could not find a recovered file anywhere. Restarted the computer. I then checked the files that routinely show up in the trash after reboot. Found a number of word work temporary files in the recovered files folder. Was able to open a couple of the files, which allowed me to recover most of my work.

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

What exactly did you search for?

7. lbwhou macrumors newbie

I searched for file names and document content in finder and spotlight. I also looked in the finder window under "today." Nothing showed up. I was going to re-index spotlight, but decided to restart the computer instead. Luckily it was in the trash after it restarted.