Word 2011 Bug - Text disappears

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by chazco, Nov 4, 2010.

1. chazco macrumors member

Hi,

In Office 2011 I've noticed that noticed that 2-3 lines of text sometimes disappear at the bottom of the page instead of appearing on the next one.

It only seems to affect print view - the text is still there and shows up if you print or use another view and subsequent lines show up okay. It can sometimes be fixed by closing Word completely and reloading it.

You can usually duplicate this by creating a new blank document, typing some text in the header, adding 10pt line spacing to the body and typing in a mutli-level bullet point list until it goes over the edge of the page.

Does anyone know of a fix for this or how I can report it to Microsoft (UK based)? All their support options seem to cost!

Thanks,

2. fhall1 macrumors 68040

fhall1

Don't know of a fix, but it's been reported here in other threads already.

3. chazco thread starter macrumors member

Interesting... I've tried a full reinstall of Mac OS (unrelated) along with a fresh install of Office 2011 and it doesn't seem to have fixed it. I've done some further testing and it seems that the header doesn't affect it. I'd suspect it's something to do with bullet points and line spacing.

Anyone know how I can report this to Microsoft?

Attached Files:

4. chazco thread starter macrumors member

I've reported this bug to Microsoft now. I couldn't find a support number/e-mail form that didn't want to charge me a ridiculous amount but eventually found out that you can report issues by opening Word and going to Help->Send Feedback. It does say that they won't contact you back however.

I'd encourage anyone else experiencing this issue to report it as well. The more people report it the more likely they are to fix it.

5. chazco thread starter macrumors member

Since the update earlier today I've not been able to duplicate this issue any more. It seems that this bug has been fixed in the new release (14.0.1).

6. chazco thread starter macrumors member

Seems this hasn't been fixed, although it does seem to happen less often.

7. chuanist, Jan 1, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2011

chuanist macrumors newbie

Other Word Bugs

I've had two anomalies show up in Word 2011.

1) PDF's and .jpg's inserted into text boxes don't always render when I send a multi-document as 'PDF to fax' in the print menu.

2) Word 2011 can't open a file created in Word 2008 that opens normally in Word 2008; 2011 returns an error message: 'Document name or path is not valid.' When I try opening the file via the 'Open' command in the file menu (as recommended further down in the error message) I get the same error.

If it matters, the file referred to in example 2 contains an embedded portion of an Excel spreadsheet.

The one thing MicroS*ck didn't do in the 'gee whiz' version of the Office suite is allow multiple documents to open as tabs in the same document window. This would be a truly useful enhancement (to my mind) because then you don't have to shuffle a bunch of separate windows to work. Naturally such a feature must include the option to 'tear off' a tab into it's own window.

8. DLary macrumors member

I opened word preferences to edit my user information. The dialogue box for adding a telephone number states

"Type the telephone number you want Word to use. Word maintains this information in your Office Address Book. To enter additional telephone numbers, click more."

Can anyone tell me where this "more" button is? I can't find it.