Word 2011 - Full size screen when clicking maximize button?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by -mattias-, Nov 24, 2010.

1. -mattias-, Nov 24, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 29, 2010

-mattias- macrumors member

[​IMG]

This is what happens when I click the maximize button. The windows becomes almost full size, but makes it so there's a little bit space around the window.

Can this be fixed, because I find it pretty annoying.

2. SHADO macrumors 6502a

SHADO

Word 2008 and 2004 also had that bug, which apparently MS has not fixed yet. I use BetterTouchTool with draggable resizing so any window I drag to the top of the screen goes fullscreen, so I never use the maximize button.

3. hlemmon macrumors newbie

This is not a "bug" that needs to be "fixed," it is just a fundamental difference between Mac OS X and what you're used to. To cut to the chase, the green zoom button is not a "maximize button," as you would find in Windows. Instead, the green button increases or decreases the active window's size to accommodate its contents.

If you want to restrict the green button to a Windows-like, maximize behavior, try Right Zoom.

4. seydurin, Nov 29, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 29, 2010

seydurin macrumors member

You didn't read/understand his concern properly. OP's right - why should the top of the window not sit flush to the top of the screen, especially considering documents are long and always need to be scrolled vertically?

to me it just seems like an issue with office, and not with how mac os x handles window maximizing, especially considering no other mac os x application does this...

5. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

:rolleyes:

6. seydurin macrumors member

skype and mail app look to me like they are touching the top.

if your point is that mac os x handles windows like that since office and steam do it, the point is lost on me.

In any case, it is not desirable, and not optimal utilization of the scarce vertical space that widescreen screens offer.

7. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

wat? The OP was complaining about the lack of a window that takes up all the available screen space on OS X. You said no other app does what Word does on OS X when you press the green button. I've just proven you wrong. Press the green button on Apple's mail.app. It will maximise, but not fill the whole screen. Like Word.

Your point is lost on me.

8. seydurin macrumors member

Mail app doesn't need vertical space, so of course it doesn't need to be blown up into every corner.

word documents are vertically long - longer than the resolution on regular mbp's anyway, so it needs to stick to the top and bottom, for optimum screen real esate usage. When the window doesnt push up to the top automatically it annoys me - even though we're only talking 3 pixels. No reason for it to be like that.