Word 2011 Mouse Malfunction - Selecting Text etc

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by prouss, Feb 6, 2015.

1. prouss macrumors newbie

After several years of use, I just started having an odd but annoying problem in Word 2011 on my Mavericks iMac. When it first opens, I can select text with the mouse (clicking and then dragging the cursor) or move the mouse to a location on the document and click, and it works - until I hit the Enter key, and then the mouse won't select text or show cursor location onscreen.

I have reinstalled Office, rebooted, rebooted in Safe Mode, run Disk Utility to test Preferences etc etc but the issue persists. Any suggestions please?

2. prouss thread starter macrumors newbie

I should add that it's not really a mouse malfunction - click and drag to select text works fine in other applications, it's only in Word that it has stopped working. Any suggestions please?

3. davidlv macrumors 65816

I have seen this bug many times, but I can always see the cursor location, and sometimes clicking on the file save icon in the menu bar restores the selection function, sometimes not. In any case you can place the cursor at the starting point for your intended selection, hold down the shift key, and drag the cursor to the selection end point. Irritating bug indeed. Saving the file usually restores the drag and select function.
    Have you reported this to MS?
    I reported it to the Japanese site about a year ago, no help there.
    Typical MS response, nothing. :eek:

4. prouss thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the reply. Sure, I can hold down Shift but it's kind of inconvenient and annoying. Saving doesn't help unfortunately. And life's too short to bother reporting to MS - there are discussions on MS forum boards but no solutions.