Word 2015 issue with vertical text

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Rabbleboy, Nov 19, 2015.

1. Rabbleboy macrumors member

Hi!

I have an issue with my Word 2015 on my Macbook Pro Retina 2014.
    When I open a new blank document and start to write, each letter is put on a new line - making me write downwards. Also, I cannot change to Print Layout.

Interestingly, if I open an older document, delete everything on the page, and save in a new name, there are no issues.

Suggestions?

2. campyguy macrumors 68030

This coming from a long time Word user, on both OS platforms. I don't know exactly what caused the problem with it, but I'd wager a bet - and likely win - that your issue is the result of a corrupted global Normal Template, the "document" that stores your "new document" settings. Corrupted Normal Templates are as old as Word is, on both platforms.

Your older documents were likely based upon an uncorrupted Normal Template, which is what tipped me off to what's likely your new "problem". One source of your new problem could be as simple as changing your default printer - which isn't a corruption but rather a preference change, but it's not the only source.

Google, or since it's an MS product - Bing, for finding & deleting your existing Normal Template. Your first step will be quitting Word before your delete the Normal Template. You may need to restore some of your workflow preferences, such as fonts, paragraph spacing - I keep a manual back up of my Normal Template for when - not if - Word has this issue on my Macs. Word will create a new Normal Template upon its first relaunch.

As to the recommendation to use Bing for your search, I find that I get better search results for Windows/Office apps when I use Bing FWIW.