word 2016 error...

Discussion in 'OS X El Capitan (10.11)' started by fisherking, Jan 19, 2016.

1. fisherking macrumors 601

fisherking

anyone seeing this? or have ideas for a fix?

"Word could not create the work file. Check the amount of disk space on your startup disk."

when I click on OK, the file opens anyway, but then I can’t seem to save any changes to the document. This keeps coming up:

Word cannot save or create this file. The disk may be full or write-protected.
    Try one or more of the following:
    * Free more memory.
    * Make sure that the disk you want to save the file on is not full, write-protected, or damaged.

2. campyguy macrumors 68030

I've seen that message and issue going back to Word 2007/2008. Almost always it's a permissions issue, on either OS platform. And, in regard to "permissions", about one-half of the time the user has an illegal character in the file name, which includes all of the folders/directories.

Keep in mind that MS created "container" files similar to ZIP "files" with DOCX suffixes that are really just directories with XML files in those directories - and XML is picky with some of those "illegal" characters, such as the trademark/copyright-type symbols, slash marks, etc. If your hard drive, folders, or file name, you can get read-write errors.

And the other type of errors are just that - write permissions errors. Make sure you're the "Owner" of the file and associated folders, which is an easy task, performed in the Sharing & Permissions section of a Get Info Window.

Fingers crossed...

3. fisherking, Jan 19, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2016

fisherking thread starter macrumors 601

fisherking

thanx, will check this out when i'm at home tonite. makes sense...

EDIT: simply running disk utility fixed this! no slashes, etc in any of the files. and permissions on the folders where i save (desktop, document) were correct.

so, all good. thanks!