Word 2016 preview vs Pages battery

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Kapybarus, May 4, 2015.

1. Kapybarus macrumors regular

Hi, did someone test battery usage in Word 2016 preview and compare it to Pages?

Beside minor lag in scrooling in Word I noticed bigger energy usage from Word.

Thanks

2. MrNomNoms macrumors 65816

I wouldn't be surprised given that Word 2016 (like the rest of the suite) has a layer of abstraction on top of OS X native API's meaning that any efficiency that OS X is 'lost in translation'. Then add to the fact that it is a 32bit application which means a whole host of things needed to be loaded which adds to the memory bloat etc. I was looking excited to seeing Office 2016 but I've given the original preview a go along with the second preview that came through as an update - it is the same mess as it was before; language management is appealing because it is based on a flawed assumption that the keyboard equals the language being used rather than basing it on the language chosen in the 'System Preferences' not to mention the lack of CardDAV and CardDAV support in Outlook etc.

3. Kapybarus thread starter macrumors regular

It looks better and I like spelling check better than in pages, but this bigger battery usage of word and outlook is concerning me. But it is same for more non native apps, like chrome, outlook, word.

4. Naio macrumors member

Naio

Wow. Office 2016 is 32-bit? Seriously?

5. MrNomNoms macrumors 65816

Unfortunately so and word is, via the engineer who replies on Arstechnica's Mac section, is that iOS movement to 64bit is of higher priority due to the date set by Apple that all software upgrades and updates through the iOS App store have to be 64bit. As for when Office for Mac will move to 64bit, given the slowness of even getting to the half baked build we have today I wouldn't hold my breath that'll appear in the next couple of years.

6. Naio macrumors member

Naio

Thank you for the information! I still can't believe that it is so.

7. internalstorm macrumors newbie

Scrolling speed is much improved in the latest beta...not laggy like it has been for years and years and even in the previous beta build.

Quite happy overall with the software as it is. Loving how it is now similar to the Windows version. Any improvements here on out will be icing on the cake!

8. MrNomNoms macrumors 65816

I'd hate to be a programmer at Microsoft if what we see happening with Office is an example of how fractured and messy their codebase is. You'd think that Microsoft would have some sort of long term plan to unify their code base to a single core but alas they're almost hell bent on having a iOS/Android code base, another code base for Windows 10 WinRT, one for win32 and then one for OS X - there seems to be little to at least unify iOS/Android/OS X/Windows 10 'touch' at least on a single base as to avoid having a situation of OS X always lagging behind the Windows version. I really want to give Office a go and I've got an Office 365 but given the half assed effort Microsoft has put into their product I have to ask myself why even bother giving them a second chance but I keep holding out hope that Office 2016 marks a new beginning of a rapid release cycle of adding new features rather than holding back for years for the big razzel-dazzle.