Word and complicated page numbers, please help

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Ruffian829, Oct 30, 2011.

1. Ruffian829 macrumors 6502

I've tried to google this but I haven't been able to find a solution that works
    I am using iWorks 2008 and I have a document where I need the first page with no page number, the second and third numbered i and ii and the rest 1-14. Is there any way to do this? I dont mind doing it manually but if I put it manually in the footer it of course just repeats for every page.
    I'm eventually going to save as a PDF, is there a way I can merge documents into one PDF? I figure if I can do that, I can have one document numbered 1-14, one number i and ii, and one with no numbers and then just combine them in the PDF

Either way would be fine, if anyone could please help I need to have this done by tomorrow :-/

TIA

2. samh macrumors 6502

You say Word but then mention "iWorks 2008" so I'm not really sure what you're actually using here.

In MS Word, you need to use Section Breaks, then restart page numbering after each section. You would shave your first page, then a section break (with page break< I think). Your footer would be empty.

Then you would have your next section with page numbers, formatted as i, i, iii... Make sure to engage the option to restart page numbers. At the end of the text of that section, insert a section break (with page break).

In the next section you would have a footer with page numbers formatted 1, 2, 3... Again making sure you have restarted page numbering from 1.

I can't really be more specific until I know what app you're using.

3. Ruffian829 thread starter macrumors 6502

Sorry, I'm using MS word. I think I have it figured out except every time I put in a section break (not a page break) it adds an empty blank page. Not a huge deal I guess I can just delete it but is putting in a section break actually putting in physical space in the document?

4. Gregg2 macrumors 603

It isn't supposed to add a blank page. Must be a quirk based on the number of lines or position of the cursor that causes it to add the page. I've done a similar exercise, and it wasn't exactly straight forward.

5. samh macrumors 6502

I can't speak to Word 2008. I have iWork '09 and Word 2011. in Word '11 you have the option of a Section Break (Continuous) and a Section Break (Page Break).

Enabling "Show All Characters" will probably shed some light on the subject. If you're putting a Section Break into your existing document that already has page breaks, then I would expect an extra page break to be there.

6. garycurtis macrumors 6502

You can achieve the effect you want, but most easily by clumping each numbering scheme into separate documents. The title page will be doc 1, having no number. The next few pages with Roman numerals will be a short book with few sequential pages. The normal numbering will open up traditional page numbers.

Don't try to turn Word into a full-featured publishing program. It isn't. My 35-year career ended with 10 years working on 3 books having 1,000 pages each. That's how I dealt with numbering, with Indexes and such.

7. Ruffian829 thread starter macrumors 6502

Garycurtis- I don't mind doing separate docs but eventually I need them merged into a single document- which I am not sure how to do

8. samh macrumors 6502

This is a basic (if not easy to access or necessarily even use) feature of MS Word. I just did it today. Section Breaks and Page Number options to have different sets of page numbers. It's not anything close to a desktop-publishing feature.

9. garycurtis macrumors 6502

If you are insistent on one document, you'll have to employ In-Design or some other Page Layout Program. I haven't used Pages from Apple, but I would guess it allows for sections within one book that have different formatting/layout. I'm sure Adobe Acrobat Pro can do it. I have that program, but haven't bothered to learn all its features.

What you are attempting is as old as the hills. Pick up any print reference book a few decades old and you will see what you are attempting. Except that those books were set on Linotype machines and augmented by flourishes cast in lead.
    Ah, don't computers simplify our lives?

10. samh macrumors 6502

Gary, he certainly does not need in-design or a page layout program. I can't say with 100% certainty that it's possible in Word 2008 because I haven't personally done it, but it's available in Word 2011 and it's been available on the Windows side of word for a very, very long time. I'm not speculating: I use separate sections with separate page numbering and altered footers in MS Word regularly. Personally. I can send you the proof if you want.

11. Ruffian829 thread starter macrumors 6502

I got it done using the separation breaks. I'm not sure why it kept adding a blank page with them but I was able to just delete the page.

It's not so much that I was "intent" on having it all in one document as it was 100% required I had it all in one document.

I don't understand how the fact that what I want to do is "old" is at all relevant?

12. garycurtis macrumors 6502

Thanks, Sam. I use Word 2004, and even at that, am not what you would call a power user. The detail features of word usually disappoint. I am fond of typographic elements such as ligatures, and fractions with superscript and subscript numerals but get bogged down by the user interface for creating them.

It is usually a painful reminder that creators of these programs are computer guys, not publishers or editors or typesetters. And that shouldn't be the case in the Mac realm. Even though it is to be expected from Microsoft and Windoze.

13. samh macrumors 6502

It was only relevant that some seemed to indicate that this feature was not available in the class of products that MS Word falls in. Not only is it available, but it's been around awhile...

However, not the easiest feature to access, I agree. The difficulty in accessing features is the reason MS gave for creating their "Ribbon" interface. Something like 70% of feature requests in user feedback MS got were for features that already existed. People just didn't/don't know they are there or how to get at them.

14. garycurtis macrumors 6502

Well, I am not qualified a judge Microsoft. I have Word 2004, but wasn't interested enough to even buy a reference book for it. Part of that is a reluctance to execute a command or a feature in a computer program when there is already enough difficulty in writing or designing a document.

I'm in the Mac world because I want the computer to work for me, not the other way around. Designing, writing and organizing a book or magazine (or a website) demands a lot thought. I get annoyed when my word processor starts hurling dialogue boxes or questions at me. It interferes with the thought process.

Page layout programs a pretty sophisticated, but the user is called upon to have a grounding in layout and design. For instance, how many folks are aware in a page layout program that they can pull down alignment grids over multiple columns of text to get all the lines synched up? The light blue guides don't print.

This is a feature that mimics what what folks did for decades using paste photoset type. I see journals, especially online, where columns aren't registered. That would fall into the category of Layout 101. Need to know stuff.