word and CPU

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by lukoson, Jan 31, 2009.

1. lukoson macrumors member

Hello,
    Over the past week I've noticed my fans going up to about 5000rpm and my temps at about 80degrees. I think that the culprit might be office 2007. When launching that program I've noticed that the CPU goes up to about 50% and thought that maybe its taxing the machine causing the temps to go up and hence the fans. But, I'm not sure that this is abnormal. Does running just word and firefox use about 50% CPU? With just firefox my CPU is 4%.
    thanks.

2. Apple Corps macrumors 68030

Most unlikely - just launched Word and processed a simple document with Safari open as well and Activity Monitor showed cpu @ about 5% - 2.33 C2D.

3. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Word 2007, so are you running it in Parallels or Fusion?

4. WPB2 macrumors 6502a

WPB2

Do you mean Office 2008? I have never had a problem on my MacBook Air 1.6 or My 2 MacBooks 2.4. I think it is a problem with your machine or corrupt files within Office.

5. lukoson thread starter macrumors member

thanks for all the quick replies.

I'm running the mac version of office 2007. not using parallels or fusion. I imported the file into pages and haven't had any problems but as soon as I open it back up in word my CPU user varies between 20 and 50% and my temps start creeping up. Sounds like something is up.

6. Nikos macrumors 68000

Nikos

Just check Activitiy Monitor. It will tell you everything.

EDIT: Doesn't it tell you CPU usage for each program or only overall? Not on OSX at the moment.

7. WPB2 macrumors 6502a

WPB2

Activity monitor does tell you total CPU usage and individual usage.

8. lukoson thread starter macrumors member

yeah, it must be a corrupted file or something. word on its own takes like 5% but as soon as I open the document I've been working on it jumps to 50% and over. any further suggestions so that I can continue to work on the document?

9. Nikos macrumors 68000

Nikos

Not sure how long it is, but maybe you can copy/paste the text into a new word document and see if that fixes the issue.

10. lukoson thread starter macrumors member

thanks all!

I think that did it. CPU seems to be at a normal 5% now. I lost all the track changes bubbles but the final version is there which is good enough! I think I should upgrade to office 2008 for mac. I'd like to use pages more often but worry about running into problems with formatting as i tend to collaborate with people on windows.