Word and Excel - Mail Merge - Excel Workbook text converter

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Abearmenta2018, Dec 13, 2018.

1. Abearmenta2018 macrumors newbie

Hello everyone,

I create our church bulletins using Word and Excel. Every week, I go into Excel and add the hymn names, scripture readings, etc... This helps me keep track of what we are singing and reading in church.

Once I fill in the order of service in Excel I mail merge in Word. However, I always get the following error message:
    This file needs to be opened by the Excel Workbook text converter, which may pose a security risk if the file you are opening is a malicious file. Choose Yes to open this file only if you are sure it is from a trusted source.

Any ideas? Basically, I click no "Yes" and it takes about 10-15 seconds (spinning beach ball) to open the actual Word and edit.

I am using Office 365 for Mac.

Any ideas?

Abraham

2. jaduff46 macrumors 6502

jaduff46

Are you mail merging to send them out to people such as a mailing list or letter? If not, there are lots of ways to spreadsheet contents, formatted however needed, to other Office doc types.

Before retiring I produced a weekly report for an institutional investor where the pages were formatted in PowerPoint and the report content in each page came from a nicely formatted section of an Excel spreadsheet. All I did was right-click in the content section for each page of the PPT and “Update link”.

There are, of course, other alternatives.

3. Abearmenta2018 thread starter macrumors newbie

I mail merge to a Word document. The Word document is our church bulletin. I have 10 columns in Excel that I fill in (hymns, bible readings, preacher name, etc...) which I mail merge to the Word document to produce the bulletin for a given Sunday.

The problem is that I get the message I mentioned in my original post. It eventually does mail merge...but takes a while to actually happen.