Word Doc disappered; tried everything...

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by AppleLPPA, Oct 9, 2014.

1. AppleLPPA macrumors newbie

Hi there. Long time lurker, first time poster.

Yes, i have looked at previous posts about how to find corrupted or deleted docs. I still can't find an important document that I have been working on (and saved many times).

Operating System: Mavericks. Recently downloaded most recent update September 17, which is also the day my lithium battery completely died on my 2009ish MacBook Pro and lost the document.

The document does not show in my document folder, but a dotted rectangular outline appears and the name of the document and path where it was appear when utilizing the Recently Opened function of Word.

What I have tried that did not work:

1) Right-clicking on the "ghost" document found in Recently Opened function. I get an error message that says my Mac cannot find the document and would I like to search for it myself. No luck. I've attached a screenshot of what it looks like to this message.

2) Restarting. Nada.

3) Looking in Word's AutoRecovery folders. Nada.

4) Revealing hidden files. Nada.

5) Free Data Recovery Software. Although I found another lost file in the RAW Data, I could not find the file in question. I was very careful to not delete anything else or install anything to prevent overwriting the file.

I was considering uninstalling/reinstalling Office 360 (I think that was what I bought when I upgraded to Mavericks a few months ago), though I'm not sure if I can reinstall after I uninstall...wouldn't I have to buy it...again?
    I am not a happy camper right now. I would grateful to anyone who could help me get my important file back!

Thank you,

eLPPA

Attached Files:

2. Gregg2 macrumors 603

You haven't tried everything. Restore the file from your backup. You do have a backup, right?

3. Tumbleweed666 macrumors 68000

Restore the file from a TM or other backup. Even a copy you made to a memory stick.
    If none of those exist, it really wasn't that important to you.