Word Doc

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Lyons00, Sep 7, 2012.

1. Lyons00, Sep 7, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2012

Lyons00 macrumors 6502

Hi,
    My iPhone opens word docs in a email, but not the iPad? Am I missing a setting, or do I need to get a app to read MS docs? If so, which one should I go with? I don't open very many MS Docs. After doing some reading, it appears the iPad should open a MS word doc but for some reason it doesn't open it on mine. Any suggestions? I've rebooted and closed the mail also.

Thanks, Jerry

2. MikeWoellert macrumors newbie

I'm not sure why that would be. You might have to download Pages to work with Word Docs (might be wrong). I also discovered CloudOn which allows you to sync with Dropbox/Google Drive and open and edit Word Docs on the iPad...

New to posting but not to the forums so figured I'd finally register

Mike

3. beauregard macrumors newbie

This comes right out of the iPad User Guide for iOS 5.1. (Hopefully you do have your iPad up to date: iOS 5.1.1):

Viewing attachments
    iPad displays image attachments in many commonly used formats (JPEG, GIF, and TIFF) inline with the text in email messages. iPad can play many types of audio attachments, such as MP3, AAC, WAV, and AIFF. You can download and view files (such as PDF, webpage, text, Pages, Keynote, Numbers, Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint documents) that are attached to messages you receive.

View an attached file: Tap the attachment to open it in Quick Look. You may need to wait while it downloads before viewing.

Quick Look supports the following document types:

.doc, .docx .htm, .html .key .numbers .pages .pdf
    .ppt, .pptx .rtf
    .txt
    .vcf
    .xls, .xlsx

4. Denis54 macrumors member