Word docs and aliasing?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by themightyspitz, Aug 16, 2010.

1. themightyspitz macrumors regular

themightyspitz

Hey guys, I have a strange situation.

My dad was saving a bunch of Word docs on his Mac - he had one large file that he split up into twenty-some smaller files, which he then saved onto both his desktop and on a flash drive. Somehow along the way (neither he nor I had any clue how) but 4 of those files saved as an alias that point to nowhere. In other words, I can't find the originals anywhere on his computer or flash drives.

Even stranger is that one of those files aliased to the Applications folder. Keep in mind these are all supposed to be word documents. They all still end with .doc, but their type is an alias. I have no clue how they were created as an alias, but they were.

It's probably a longshot without knowing where the original is located, but do any of you guys know how to possibly retrieve this?

2. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Do this:
    • Insert the Flash drive used to save [some of] the .doc files.
    • Use Spotlight to search for files with the same name as each alias.
    • Collect those files in a known location.

3. KirkL macrumors 6502

You could also open the Alias and Save the file in a known location using "Save As"

4. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

The OP has lost the association between his aliases and their originals. He is now trying to locate his originals. Your suggestion depends on knowing he locations of the originals. However, this is knowledge that the OP does not have.