Word docs

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by hampshireman, Apr 14, 2011.

1. hampshireman macrumors regular

I have been asked to edit a document that originally was posted on Google documents. I copied and pasted it into Word and set to the task. The problem is that damn save box and I have got it wrong in the past but only on my own stuff which is not that important.

However after 10 pages of editing, I saved and it's gone to plain text (I think) Whatever it did it has changed the layout and font and on emailing it as an attachment my client can't open it.

Is there a way of getting it back to an actual Word.doc please?

2. DrakkenWar macrumors 6502

DrakkenWar

Not a lot to go on here.. But I will take a stab at it..

A few things. First and foremost, you did not tell anyone here what version of word you are using. Depending on the age, you might be mucking with .docx files even though the file came from google docs. Which would explain not only format issues, but everything else. A work around for that would be either www.openoffice.org for your machine. Again, you did not allude much to the mac you are working with, so you might need to look at: www.old-apps.org for a version you can use.
    There is also libre office which in my experience works quite well on older hardware. Hope it helps.

~Cheers
    Drake

--
    Sent from Equinox DualG5/1.8/3gb/10.5.8

3. hampshireman thread starter macrumors regular

Sorry my ignorance and non techie background shining through.

PowerMac G4

I can't see a version for Word except WordX for Mac Service release 1.

4. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Ah, you have a PPC Mac, and a REALLY old version of Word. That being the case, OpenOffice.org won't help you most likely, nor will LibreOffice. There's nothing you can do to recover the formatting if you saved it as plain text, except reconstruct the formatting. Oh, and make sure you save the file with the correct extension for emailing - otherwise, virtually nobody will be able to figure out what sort of file you sent. For Word documents created with Word X, this extension is .doc - for plain text files, it should be .txt.

5. hampshireman thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks, I thought so.
    However you say reformatting. Just how do I do this please?

6. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Can you still open the document in Word? If you can, do so, then IMMEDIATELY Save As a Word document BEFORE editing it further, to prevent this from happening again.

7. hampshireman thread starter macrumors regular

OK thanks, I think I have managed to do that. The test will be on sending it as an attachment