Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ImNoAppleFanBoy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 10, 2010
Hey everyone... I recently just got a mac and having trouble opening a word document in pages. It would open but all the original tables, bars, and shadings done in word does not open. Its just opens in text and spaces... Ive also notice that in quick look I can see the original document in full but does not open in the way it was showed..?

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Word and Pages are not 100% compatible, so there may be some formatting changes between them.

ImNoAppleFanBoy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 10, 2010
Really? lol theres nothing I can do other than buy Office... the people that work at the apple store said it can open word documents no problem and swear how better it is overall... :mad:

emptyCup

macrumors 65816
Jan 5, 2005
Really? lol theres nothing I can do other than buy Office...

Nothing, except Word, is 100% compatible with Word. I've found Pages to be more compatible than other word processors I've tried. However, my documents tend to have text wrapping around pictures and simple tables. I have never had trouble going from Pages to Word.

You can try other Mac word processors. There are many. You can also try cutting and pasting your tables. If you need to collaborate with somebody using Word, you will have to buy Word.

old-wiz

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2008
West Suburban Boston Ma
Nothing, except Word, is 100% compatible with Word.

Even that doesn't always hold true. Different versions of Word will not always interchange documents well. For example, older versions of Word will not always process documents from newer versions of Word.

Before I retired, this was quite an issue with so many people writing stuff in Word so the company standardized on one version of word and installed it on all systems.

Pages can open word documents, but it won't be perfect. The more complicated the document the less likely it will read properly in Pages. Interestingly enough, even simple documents do not always work; Word includes a number of fonts that are not available in Pages, so documents can look strange when opened in Pages.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.