Word Documents Between Mac and PC

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by ghosty86, Oct 19, 2009.

1. ghosty86 macrumors newbie

Hi,

Im going to be purchasing a 13" Macbook Pro but coming from using a PC my whole life I have a few questions:

Firstly would you recommend iWork or Office? And can iWork read and edit work documents?

Secondly, If I am creating a Word document on my Mac and then send it to someone that is using Office on a PC will the formatting etc be the same? Im thinking of the scenario if I am filling out a job application form and then send it to the employer I don't want the formatting to be messed up since that would preclude me from getting an interview most likely.

Also, are there any other compatibility issues I should be aware of with sending things between Mac and PC?

I know if these will be problematic I can always install Windows 7 via Bootcamp, but id rather they were do-able on OSX.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

2. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Check this post.

No, I mean there are some fonts and symbols that can cause it to be off. You can always export to PDF. If you use Pages it is more likely to happen, especially when Macros get involve, but when using Word - it's fine. Powerpoints are another story.

Umm...nope? It has gotten much better, obvious .exe's aren't going to run in OSX.

3. ckelloggjr macrumors newbie

Flow Charting in Word for Mac

I am new to Mac. I was told that WIndows Word documents were compatible with Word for Mac. The problem is that I have created flow charts within Word documents. Word for Mac renders them static images; no longer editable. In addition, Word for Mac does not seem to have the capability of drawing bent lines and snapping from origin box to destination box as does Word for Windows. Am I overlooking something, or doing something wrong? Thanks,
    ckelloggjr

4. GS Owner macrumors member

I'm coming from a PC heavy world too.

I wound up buying Microsoft Office for Mac.
    With apologies to :apple: it works better than I dreamed.
    Excel and Word work almost like that do in PC's. Almost = Better and faster than any "Standard" PC out there. It's like going from riding a Skateboard to driving a sports car!

The only downsize is reading the files when you're maxed out on resolution scale. Most of my files are set to either 125% or 130% so I can read them.

If I wasn't so dependent on Microsoft for files I would have bought iWorks when I bought my Mac. I may buy iWorks later this year. But right now I am heavily dependent on Office for Mac's to get my work done.