Word Documents....

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by soupyjnr, Jan 30, 2008.

1. soupyjnr macrumors 6502

HHHHHHHEEEEEEEEEYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!

Well Im excited ^^^ CAN YOU TELL?! Im ordering my MacBook off AppleStore on Friday, and i cant wait - question!

Do you get any word processing software and if you do, is it good and can I save in in a format in which a PC will be able to read it?

Cheers :D:D

2. djinn macrumors 68000

djinn

Yeah, TextEdit which is equivalent to Notepad. A trial copy of Office 2004 for mac comes with it. You might try openoffice for mac. If you are going to be doing a lot of writing you might want to try Office 2008 for Mac. My wife uses it and likes it so far.

3. soupyjnr thread starter macrumors 6502

Cool thanks - I thought Macs didnt come with any trial software

4. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

agreed with the above poster. if there is an iWork trial might as well give Pages a try too since it can read .doc files, although not always the best either.

5. djinn macrumors 68000

djinn

You beat me to it!

6. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

iWork and Office come as trials. Nothing else.

7. scr1968 macrumors regular

Congrats!

You certainly don't get Microsoft Office unless you specifically configured it. It might come with a trial version - that I am not sure.

Same holds true for Pages. If you didn't configure your MacBook specifically to come with iWork then Pages won't be there either.

A generic configuration doesn't come with much in the way of word processing. TextEdit is about as close as it comes and that is far from being a word processing. TextEdit will save files in Word format along with HTML and RTF.

SCR

8. soupyjnr thread starter macrumors 6502

OK So (a little confused) what would be best for me to use?

9. djinn macrumors 68000

djinn

As I said, if you are going to be doing a lot of writing and need the compatibility, use Mac Office 2008.

10. Techguy172 macrumors 68000

Get office 2008 For mac excellent for writing and you pretty much need it for full compatibility with PC

11. soupyjnr thread starter macrumors 6502

12. skwij macrumors 6502

I actually use Pages the most often, with NeoOffice (FREE DOWNLOAD) a close runner-up.

But then, I don't do much word processing at all.

Anything I've done though has been readable by friends with PCs.

13. soupyjnr thread starter macrumors 6502

Thats good - Ive bookmarked this so when I get my MacBook I wil be able to come back!

14. kuwisdelu macrumors 65816

Alright, just so you clear up a little of the quick advice you've gotten here...I'll go through your options again:

MS Office for Mac 2008 ~ This is the Mac version of MS Office '08, with a few differences. You still have the exact same Word, Powerpoint, and Excel (pretty much), and instead of Access and in place of Outlook, you get Entourage, which is an Email+Calendar+Addressbook suite. Missing from MS Office '08 is macros, although it now supports AppleScript. Get it if you need full compatibility with MS Office for business/work/etc., i.e. really complicated Excel spreadsheets and so on. Personally, I think that's the only reason you should get it, as it's the most expensive option.

iWork '08 ~ This is Apple's office suite for Mac. It's much more "Mac" than MS Office for Mac. Many find it to be more intuitive and generally a better experience to use than MS Office for Mac, but somewhat less powerful as far as Pages (like Word) and Numbers (like Excel) go, if you need the really high-end Office features. Most agree that Keynote (like PowerPoint) is an excellent program, however, and many find it superior to PowerPoint. iWork is significantly less expensive than MS Office, and--while it can't save natively to office formats--you can "export to .doc," "export to .ppt," so it's somewhat compatible if you need to send to a PC. If nothing else, saving to .rtf always works for everyone. Get this if you want a very "Mac" program that's very high quality, but not quite as compatible with PC's (although you can still send files to them, easily).

NeoOffice ~ This is what I use. It's the native OS X port of the popular free, open-source office suite OpenOffice.org. It, too, has its own versions of Word, PowerPoint, and Excel, and has all the features most users will ever need. Obviously, it won't suffice for high-end users of Office who need full compatibility for corporate purposes, but it should be much more than sufficient for the average user. I've never found anything lacking in it. Since it's open-source, programmers all across the globe read the source code and make sure it's relatively bug-free. It has full compatibility with MS Office (ability to save natively in .doc and even the new .docx formats, etc.) and even offered support for the new xml formats before Office 2003/4 could open them. Best of all, it's free. Get this if you want to save money, don't need the full compatibility of office, and aren't bothered by the lack of certain higher-end features.

Last word ~ You can try out all of them easily. 30-day trials of both MS Office for Mac and iWork are on your computer, so just see what you prefer about each. NeoOffice is a free download, so you won't be losing out on anything by downloading it just to try it out. Try them all; see what works best for you; I personally recommend NeoOffice, since it's free and I've never had a problem with it.

15. soupyjnr thread starter macrumors 6502

Hello :)

Thanks for that post - it helped alot! I will just stick with the trials and free downloads for now and see what I like best - but that helped alot :)!

Thanks

16. lil' brudder macrumors 6502

A fourth and also free option is openoffice however, mac compatibility isn't that great and it has to run with (free) X11 at this point. However, it can open and create most if not all microsoft office documents as well as its own odt format. However, I wouldn't too greatly recommend this as it is still a baby of sorts...

17. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

18. soupyjnr thread starter macrumors 6502