Word excel power point for mac

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Streetboy75, May 24, 2016.

1. Streetboy75 macrumors newbie

hi I am new to Mac and used to Microsoft office for word excel and power point, can someone tell me the what ones to load in the App Store as there are so many different ones. Thanks

2. MikeeW macrumors newbie

MikeeW

I use the apps Pages, Numbers and Keynote, which are the equivalent of the Microsoft office products.

I did buy from Microsoft a home edition of office for my child to use in college. Unfortunately, one license, one machine. With the Mac products all of my devices have Apple software.

3. HobeSoundDarryl macrumors 603

HobeSoundDarryl

Hobe Sound, FL (20 miles north of Palm Beach)
    Equivalent??? One might read your post and think equivalent means equal or "about the same as." While Keynote might be the closest in terms of being (subjectively) equivalent to Power Point, Pages and Numbers are far from about the same as Word and Excel.

If by equivalent you mean that they are Apple's crack at a Word Processor, Spreadsheet and Presentation software bundle, OK. But this guy- OP- claims he's new to Mac. We shouldn't be so quick to lead the newbies down the all-Apple path with stuff like this. Obviously, Office is very important to OP. iWork is not Office*.

*note: I use iWork software about every day, so that's not a bash. I simply understand that Office-dependent people probably need Office, not Office Jr Jr, which might be able to export files that open somewhat the same when a collaborator wants to work with Office.

4. MikeeW macrumors newbie

MikeeW

I responded to the query with a reasonable suggestion. Please note I did point out that Microsoft office can be purchased for his Mac. I do believe equivalent is exactly as you suggest.

Perhaps instead of criticizing my choice of words, you can offer a suggestion how the op can get what asked for. I did.

5. HobeSoundDarryl, May 24, 2016
    Last edited: May 24, 2016

HobeSoundDarryl macrumors 603

HobeSoundDarryl

Hobe Sound, FL (20 miles north of Palm Beach)
    Very well. OP, if you need complete compatibility with (Windows) Office, I suggest leveraging bootcamp + Windows + Office. If you'd like to run Office while you run OS X, add Parallels.

If you need near complete compatibility with and functionality of Office, the Office bundle for Mac is pretty close. Along with the 365 subscription option identified in post #2, note that Microsoft also sells all 3 off subscription as a "Home & Student Edition" bundle: https://products.office.com/en-us/home-and-student

If you need only basic-to-moderate Word Processing & Spreadsheet functionality that can export to and import from Office with varying degrees of (complete) success, try Pages & Numbers. But be prepared for that exporting & importing to yield different outcomes than intended. If you will be collaborating with others using Office, you'll probably become frustrated at what those programs can't import and/or export well. The third piece- Keynote- is actually quite a good competitor with Power Point though, again, exporting and importing to/from Power Point is likely to yield different-than-intended results.

MikeeW, no offense. I'm simply sympathetic to newbies being pushed toward all Apple solutions in seemingly every thread. I read your post and "equivalent" seemed too easily taken to mean "the same as" or "very similar to" rather than just a bundle of 3 pieces of software that are also a Word Processor, Spreadsheet and Presentation bundle. I can argue that iWork is good software (I use it myself every day) but it is no Office. If OP needs Office, as implied by their post #1, they probably need Office, not Office Jr or Office Jr Jr that is iWorks (IMO).

6. wickedpapercut macrumors member

wickedpapercut

I have no idea if Streetboy75 needs full MSOffice compatibility or if he's just looking for a suite of products that do similar tasks. Personally, I use MSOffice on my company-provided PC for all of my professional tasks. At home I use a combination of the Apple iWork apps (Pages and Numbers, mostly) or I'll use LibreOffice (still free, or donation-ware, I believe) which I find to be fairly compatible with the Microsoft apps for my purposes.

So I'd say that it all depends on where you want to start with your Mac applications, how much you can afford to pay, and how much MSOffice compatibility you really need.

7. dwig macrumors 6502

+1

The keys here are:
    1. how much MS Office compatibility is needed
    2. how much "power" is needed.
    If the OP needs both then MS Office for Mac is the best choice, especially if interoperatability with PC users is a requirement. If only #2 then LibreOffice would be an excellent choice, and it does have rather decent MS Office compatibility. If neither, then either LibreOffice or the Apple products would be good choices.