word files converting to PDF

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by gldbug800, Aug 15, 2008.

1. gldbug800 macrumors newbie

I am having one bear of a time with Word and illustrations within a PDF document. I'm trying to publish a book. The publisher only accepts PDF files. I have produced the book in Word, and imported PDF illustrations throughout the book (like 220 of them!). I have double and triple checked and the illustrations are all at 300 dpi. However, when I import those illustrations into my Word document, and then go to print-PDF-save the illustrations get converted into a range of dpi sizes - from 24 dpi to 284 dpi. Even though I am importing them as 300 dpi, they wind up as this range of dpi sizes. Because Word is so darn user friendly, there is no way to find out what is happening nor how to correct it. Has anyone else run into this, and if so, do you know how to fix it? Word is the only document-producing solution on my iMac.

Thanks!!!

2. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

What do you mean by illustrations? Are these digital photographs? raster graphic files such as JPEG? vector graphic files? what?

How do you know that you have this spectrum of resolutions?

Do you resize your images after you import them into Word? If you do, then stop. If you absolutely must resize an image, then lock its aspect ratio before you do.

3. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Except for, say, Pages?

4. Dane D. macrumors 6502a

Is it possible for you to use some other software? Neooffice, Pages, InDesign, anything but Word. Not to burst your bubble, but Word is and always will be a second rate program for what you are trying to do. It wasn't meant to be a page layout app, thus the difficulty you are experiencing. But if you are stuck using it make sure the illustrations you are placing do not get re-sized by Word. One other thing, if this book is being printed on a press, make sure the illustrations are CMYK, NOT RGB.

5. gldbug800 thread starter macrumors newbie

misterme

yes, I have been resizing them AFTER I import them into word. Dang! Thought that might be a problem.

The reason I know the respective dpi range AFTER I import and then convert to a PDF is that I then upload the book file to my publisher. They check everything over to make sure it is suitable for printing, and they tell me my dpi is all over the map and may not reproduce correctly.

By illustrations, I mean black and white "cartoon"-type illustrations that I have scanned from a book. No images bigger than 7 X 8 inches.

Sounds like I should pay to have this done in CS3 or something...maybe QuarkXpress??

6. gldbug800 thread starter macrumors newbie

DaneD

Thanks - I'll check out the other solutions...maybe, maybe something will work. Very frustrating...

7. raxafarian macrumors regular

neoOffice gives you some controls for images when you export to pdf.

8. gldbug800 thread starter macrumors newbie

Dane D -

for Pages I would have to buy iLife 08, right?

9. gldbug800 thread starter macrumors newbie

Dane D - that would be iWork, not iLife - sorry.

Just discovered I have Pages for a 30 day trial on my iMac. They make importing files from Word a snap. I'll tackle this tomorrow morning and have the re-do done by noon!! Fantastic - thanks!!

10. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

b-b-but I though Word was the only document producing solution for iMac?

11. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

Word stinks and always will until MS makes it take a shorter period of time to load. Pages pwns it. Besides Pages, Keynote, and Numbers is $70-$80 compared to the $100+ of Office and it's stinking slow load times.