Word files don't open from file icon

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by kenslos, Feb 21, 2010.

1. kenslos macrumors newbie

Recently updated MS Office 2004 to 11.5.6. I'm running OSX 10.5.8 on a Mac Pro. Double clicking Word files or dragging them onto the Word icon no longer opens them. My best work around seems to be to open a new blank document and drag the file into that.

Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks

2. Gregg2 macrumors 603

I'm suspecting a corrupt plist file, but I'm not sure which one. Is this only happening for Word files? If so, Word's plist file is my suspect. If it happens for other applications, the Finder's plist moves to the top.

Do you know how to deal with corrupt plist files?

And if that doesn't turn out to be the problem, you should log in under a different user account and see if that solves it.

3. kenslos thread starter macrumors newbie

Word files don't open from Word icon

Thanks Gregg2. Sounds like a good idea, but in the meantime I upgraded to 11.5.7 and it solved the problem. It's odd to me that it was an MS updater ap that told me to upgrade to 11.5.6 just a few days ago. I assumed that it was the most current update.

Thanks very much for responding.

4. Gregg2 macrumors 603

Terrific! I updated to 11.5.7 also. It seems to have only added support files for Word and Excel, and a new PowerPoint 11.5.7 application. Word and Excel remain version 11.5.6

In your case, since the update fixed the problem, I suspect that reinstalling Word 11.5.6 would have fixed it too.