Word files in Pages

Discussion in 'macOS' started by zotter87, Sep 22, 2009.

1. zotter87 macrumors newbie

I'm a recent switch from PC to a Macbook and I'm still getting used to OSX. I have iWork installed and I have noticed that since some of my professors continue to post documents in Word format, I can't open them on my computer. It will download the file but not allow me to open or view it. Any suggestions on how to fix this? I'm sure its a simple download that I haven't heard of yet.

2. CWallace macrumors 603

CWallace

What version of iWorks do you have?

I am using iWorks 09 with the latest updates (so Pages 4.0.2) and I can open Word documents created and saved in the new Microsoft XML format they introduced with Office 2007 (PC) and Office 2008 (Mac).

If you have an older version of iWorks, it may not be able to natively open this new format (.docx)?

3. Brammy macrumors 65816

With the file selected in the Finder, go to the File menu, get info. Near the bottom you will see an entry for "Open With." From the pull-down, choose "Pages" and then click "change all"

Now, when you double-click on a Word file, pages will open it. Note: Pages doesn't actually open the file, but rather imports it into a Pages document. So, if you save the file it will be in Pages's format, not Word's.

4. zotter87 thread starter macrumors newbie

Perfect. Simply clicking the doc and opening with pages solved the problem. i feel pretty stupid for not figuring that out myself.

Thanks