Word for Mac 2011 generates large size documents

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by peterpan123, Feb 3, 2015.

1. peterpan123 macrumors 6502

Hello, I noticed that even for a 3-page text document in black and white, Words generated the correspond pdf file of about 5M in size. Do you know what is happening and how to reduce the file size? Thanks.

2. cassini007 macrumors member

How are you converting the document to PDF? If you do it via the File/Save As... option, it shouldn't inflate the file. You may also want to consider copying and pasting the text into a new document and saving it as PDF.

3. hiddenmarkov macrumors 6502a

if you save as a word doc how large is it in a word native .doc form?

If rather large still you could for a quick check copy the whole document, paste into a .txt file using a text editor. You want a text editor as it will rip out most of the encoding word puts into a document. You keep only the basic stuff like line breaks really. Then see how large that .txt is when saved.

If a really big size reduction offhand I'd say while only text in your word doc you may be using advanced word text features adding some size to the document with the encoding word does in background for it. Bloat the pdf conversion may not be able to shed readily.

You may want those bloated word text features ofc....this just may show you its adding to document size is all.

4. peterpan123 thread starter macrumors 6502

In one test text file, in docx format, it is 147kb. When I did a Print->PDF->Save as PDF, a 2.1MB pdf file was generated. Using File->Save as pdf, I got a pdf file of the same size as well.