Word for Mac help (I'm new to apple)

Discussion in 'macOS' started by unbdm, Jan 2, 2017.

1. unbdm macrumors newbie

I finally pulled the trigger and bought a Mac (for my wife for Christmas); I've been pondering it for a lot of years. If we end up liking it, I'll get one for myself next opportunity.

My wife is an elementary teacher, and not a computer person at all; She is pretty good on her iphone, so i'm hoping Mac will seem easy for her. Unfortunately, she ran into a problem early, and I've been unable to resolve it for her, so she is back to using our Windows machine ;(

She uses word to customize (add info for her class) a form that is sent from her boss. It uses text boxes and so forth to be appealing to first graders.

There is a text box that word for Mac won't let us change the text in. In the Windows version of Word we can edit the same text easily (exact same file). I did notice the text boxes that we can't update show up under a Canvas, where as the text boxes we can update are not under a canvas. I'm sure I could take a half day word class and understand using these features in word, but I really don't want to.

Unfortunately, she had to go to our windows machine to get this page ready for this week...

Any thoughts appreciated. Kinda ironic that our Mac problem is from a Microsoft application.... but in the end, if there is not a quick resolution that is minimal keystrokes, she won't want to keep the Mac I don't think...

Thanks all,
    Barry

Attached Files:

2. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

Hmmm, that seems unusual. If you CMD+A to highlight all content, then CMD+V into a new Word document, is it now editable? That would isolate if it's an issue with the document or just the content.

Worth checking for Office updates too — press 'Help' on the menu bar when in Word and click 'Check for Updates'. Keep doing this until it says there are none available, as MS are frequently patching Office 2016.

3. unbdm thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll try that when I get home. Unfortunately, my wife won't want to go through all that every time, although it could be a troubleshooting step. I talked to the BestBuy guys, I can still return it, I think I'm down to letting the apple rep at BestBuy take a shot at it. I have a hard time believing this is a real issue, but if it is, I'm glad is exposed itself early.

Thanks for the suggestion.