Word for Mac.... What to get ?????

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by EarthDawn, Mar 10, 2008.

1. EarthDawn macrumors 6502a

EarthDawn

I need Word for my iMac but i don not need the whole package like MS Office 08'

$149.00 for something that i only need 1 or the 5 products in it is a waste... I searched and cant find just word. It does not even need to be the newest version etc...

confused and need some direction

THANKS !!!:confused:

2. scienide09 macrumors 65816

scienide09

Does it have to be word?

Why not open source software, like NeoOffice/OpenOffice? It's free (though donations are appreciated), can handle MS Word files, and integrates nicely with OS X.
    Online at: http://www.neooffice.org/

Otherwise, consider Apple's Pages software.

MS is notorious for bundling. The MS Office set is called a software suite for a reason -- it's intended to provide a set of programs to assist productivity, and assumes the user will need more than just word processing. A text editor can do that (albeit not too well).

3. BothBarsOn macrumors regular

Nisus Writer Pro is another excellent alternative (nisus.com).

No help if you really NEED Word, I know, but I thought I'd chip in ...

4. aross99 macrumors 68000

aross99

Now that they have a "Home and Student" Edition of Office, I don't think they sell the applications separately any more.

You might be able to find a deal on Office 2004 now that Office 2008 is out. Check online and see if you can find someone who is selling their old version.

5. jeffmc macrumors 6502

if you want word by itself they do not offer it in student form as a stand alone.

just word will cost you $349.99 (word 2004 was anyway)

get the student teach with all apps, it's a much better deal as had three license so you can split it $50 three ways with friends if you need to

6. a456 macrumors 6502a

a456

If you need support for macros generated on a Windows version of Word buy MS Office 2004, because 2008 will not do this. And if you don't need the support then you probably don't need Word at all but one of the above mentioned programs such as neooffice. Don't worry about opening .docx files generated by Word 2008 - if the worst comes to the worst you can open these in the trial version of Apple's Pages (even after the trial period has ended) and cut and paste to the program you are using.

7. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A102 Safari/419.3)

It has been a while sine M$ offered individual Apps for Mac. They have since dropped the prices of Office to try to compete with iWork.

OpenOfice is a good alternative, but I find its compatibility with Word to be flakey.

TEG

8. EarthDawn thread starter macrumors 6502a

EarthDawn

It does not have to be word....

It us getting basic use.

Girlfriends resumes and my sons book reports etc.

other then that there is not much other use.

Would nisus.com or neo office be ok for this ???

they both look to be layed out well...

APPRECIATE the help !!! as always its fast and useful answers here !

9. scienide09 macrumors 65816

scienide09

For what you've described, the non-MS Word options can do what you need just fine.

10. EarthDawn thread starter macrumors 6502a

EarthDawn

OK...

Now.... will the resumes she writes open up ok for businesses that she emails it to ???

She was using Word to send it out as... since i upgraded to Leopard I lost my old copy of MS Word ....

Sooooo.... she needs to redo her resume and send it out again.... just need to be sure I am not gonna get screamed at when companies cant open it up.

THANKS!

11. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

Why not just use Pages from iWork '08.

TEG

12. kuwisdelu macrumors 65816

NeoOffice will be completely fine for this. Just make sure you save it as .doc rather than any other format. Exporting to pdf also works. NeoOffice is capable of this, so you should be fine.

Not sure about Nisus Writer, but I imagine it can do it, too.

Another good Word alternative is Abiword. It's free and it's just Word, rather than a whole Office suite.

13. shwc macrumors regular

14. EarthDawn thread starter macrumors 6502a

EarthDawn

Thanks for all the help....

Trying NeoOffice ......

looks good so for.....

:D:D:D

15. kuwisdelu macrumors 65816

It is quite good.

If you feel the need to upgrade to something a little better, I highly recommend iWork. It's a great value for only $79 compared to MS Office, and if NeoOffice suits your needs, you shouldn't find anything lacking in iWork from MS Office. If you keep NeoOffice around afterward for compatibility, you really won't ever need to shell out the cash of MS Office.

16. gothamm macrumors 6502a

17. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

another freebies is already on your Mac......TextEdit is basic but still quite usable. A while ago there was a thread asking if anybody used it as their main word processor and I was impressed with the number of people who say it is

actually, they do offer the individual components for Mac and have always done so.......as TJones points out above, you can buy Word as a stand-alone from the Apple store.....it just isn't cheap

18. scooterguitar macrumors regular

Does it have to be Word for Mac or can we use a copy of the actual MS one? I am lost on how that works.
    I can get about any MS program I need as I am an educator, but they don't have anything for Macs.

19. TJones macrumors regular

Just thank your lucky stars there isn't an Ultimate edition.

20. motulist macrumors 68040

motulist

I don't know if things have changed, but a bunch of years ago emailing your resume in a word file was a big no-no that prospective employers supposedly did not appreciate.

21. EarthDawn thread starter macrumors 6502a

EarthDawn

It still is ... most companies filter all attachments from unknown emails.

She is sending them by request as some of the jobs are out of our area.

22. TygerMac macrumors newbie

A little off topic, but I was curious if you could save Pages files so they can be opened with M$ Word? If so, then I would jump all over iWork, as a college student I need a suite for presentations, word processing and some spreadsheets. Thanks in advance.

23. California macrumors 68040

California

I own 2004 Word for Mac complete but ...

I can't stand it. Too invasive.

Believe it or not, I use the earliest 2001 Word for Mac OSX.

Pick it up cheap off Craigslist.

24. j26 macrumors 65832

j26

You can Export to Word, but I just tried it and opened the resulting file in NeoOffice and the formatting is all over the place.

Unless someone needs to edit the document you're better off hitting print and 'Save as pdf'