word format to pages?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by GeoMacbook, Jan 26, 2009.

1. GeoMacbook macrumors newbie

New to Mac and MacRumors...just bought my new Macbook actually havnt even got it in the mail yet. I have lots of files on my PC that are in Word format that i need to transfer over to the Mac is there and easy way or do i need to re-type everything? Cause the sooner i can transfer those files the sooner i can sell this P.O.S. Dell. Thanks for all the great info on the forums everyone has helped me out so much allready.

2. strider42 macrumors 65816

strider42

pages can read word format documents. POtentially some advanced formatting might get messed up, but it works mostly just fine. There is also open office and even a version of MS office for the mac if you wanted to go that way.

Welcome to macrumors and the mac. You've found a good resource here.

3. Ashka macrumors 6502a

Ashka

If you don't have iWork installed for Pages, TextEdit comes with your Mac and makes a reasonable job of opening most doc files. If they are in the new docx format re save them as doc or rtf format.

4. Cap41 macrumors 6502

Another free program is NeoOffice....I find none of my spreed sheets look or are formatted in iwork like they were in MSoffice(PC) the only program that gets the sheets almost identical is Openoffice, and Neooffice. They still work the same with formulas, its the layout that does not fit like it used to..

5. és: macrumors 6502a

és:

Pages should convert and edit them just fine. However, you can get Microsoft Office for Mac, which I believe is even better than the PC version. It's well worth the investment.

6. schizoidwoman macrumors regular

On top of a steep hill in West Yorkshire.
    I have found all my MS Office docs have opened just fine in NeoOffice; I used TextEdit for about a day when I first got the Mac but this wouldn't have suited me as anything other than a stopgap measure. As Cap 41 says, NeoOffice does a really good job of working with Excel too.

I am about to try the iWork trial too but since NoeOffice is free, it will have to be really good to convince me to get my wallet out!

7. GeoMacbook thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks...i will try to just open them in iwork (pages) but if that doesnt work well i will get the neoOffice, that sounds like the best way to go. Just got the conformation this morning the Macbook is shipped about 3-4 days and counting till i can get rid of this PC