Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

erinleigh

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 13, 2005
Santa Barbara, CA
Sorry if this is the wrong place to post this.

OK, this is really random, and kind of stupid, but, I'm writing a paper for my history class using Word 2004 (on a Powerbook). I need to insert page numbers; however, when I click on "Insert" in the menu bar, my Page Numbers option is missing?! I know it's been there before, because I've used it. I went into the Help menu, and it told me exactly what I was trying to do. I thought maybe it was because I had updated Word recently, but then why would the Help menu tell me to do that? I am so confused! How can something like that just disappear??

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
I know this is no help but on my Word 2004 it's the second item on the Insert menu. If you quit Word, start it again and start a new document is it there?

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
Just noticed another way of adding them. On my Formatting Palette I have a section called Add Object. If I scroll a little bit down there I get things like Page X of Y which will do what you want as well.

erinleigh

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 13, 2005
Santa Barbara, CA
Yeah, I tried quitting it, opening a new document--it's like the Insert Page Number option just disappeared. The "insert page x of y" should work, though, thank you much. There is an insert "current page" option, but it doesn't have any options as to where to put it...I'm just totally confused how something like that could just not be there anymore. Aggh.

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
erinleigh said:
Yeah, I tried quitting it, opening a new document--it's like the Insert Page Number option just disappeared. The "insert page x of y" should work, though, thank you much. There is an insert "current page" option, but it doesn't have any options as to where to put it...I'm just totally confused how something like that could just not be there anymore. Aggh.

It puts it where the caret is. Where the other option went? I've no idea. It's one of those little mysteries.

Brize

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2004
Europe
To replace missing menu items within Office 2004, go to Tools>Customize Toolbars/Menus, and then click on the Commands tab. In this case, choose Insert from the categories menu, and you should see an option for Page Number in the right-hand pane. Drag that to the Insert menu on the new customisation toolbar that should have appeared. If you hover over the menu, it should drop down, thus allowing you to place the item wherever you like within the menu.

I'm not sure I've explained this particularly well, but then again, it's not a particularly elegant implementation of menu customisation. In any event, I hope this helps.

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
Make sure you're in 'Page Layout' view not Normal, Online or Outline.

It's under the 'View' menu.

erinleigh

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 13, 2005
Santa Barbara, CA
I did the edit toolbars thing, and got it back that way. Thanks for all your help. :) I know that has to be the stupidest question ever but I was soo confused, and panicked. But thanks all!

ginab

macrumors newbie
Feb 5, 2008
Not a dumb question

I tried all of the suggestions for this problem above. Insert page number does not show up in the panel for me to turn it on. I can drag insert page number up in the bar but it just puts a page number where ever the cursor sits. I cannot get "page number" to show up in the "insert" drop down. I am SO frustrated about this and cannot find my darn disk with the software on it. I was thinking maybe if I re-install it that it may work right. Any thoughts?:mad:

4STER

macrumors newbie
Feb 9, 2008
Fix for page numbers

Follow the same instructions for tools--> customize and stuff but instead of insert page number, scroll down a little. There is one called insert page numbers. That is the option you are looking for.

Cheers

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.