Word:Mac default font crisis

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by n00yes, May 12, 2009.

1. n00yes macrumors newbie

I'll go insane with this problem: Every time I type something in my Word document, it comes out as Times New Roman.

I redefined styles for Heading, Normal, even Body text... but still!
    I changed the fonts in Document Theme... !!! Still I get Times New Roman!!!
    I changed the Font and Style in Format menu...
    I searched the web for solutions...
    Made my own word Template, changed the generic Normal.dotm template... Even the Default Paragraph Font appears to be set to my chosen font (lets say Verdana).

Everything LOOKS ok. It should BE Verdana in all of the styles defined, but it's NOT.

When I start typing, there's Times New Roman again! The indicator of the problem can be seen in Formatting Palette > Font. Wherever I put my cursor (even in the middle of the word), font turns into, guess what, Times New Roman!

In Formatting Palette > Styles window shows:
    Normal + Times New Roman

Every Style gets that annoying + Times New Roman every time I write something.

I even renamed Normal.dotm template file and forced Word to create a new one. The default font in the new one is Cambria (for body text), but of course, there's Times New Roman popping up again whenever it can.

It makes me wanna scream my head off!

Can anybody please, PLEASE help me? :-(

2. peetah macrumors member

Create a new style based on normal
    Give it a new name
    Specify the font you want to use
    Save it

Select all text, use your new style.

Word 2008's implementation of styles is a little ass backwards compared to Word 2007 for the PC. Thankfully, it's a little easier to deal with than Word 2003.

3. Phialak macrumors newbie

n00yes: I just had the same problem driving me crazy, but I found the solution right after running into your forum. So just in case you did not get it solved yet, what you have to do is to unmark "Perferences->Edit->Match font to keyboard" to make it behave normally. Hope this helps - it did for me ;)

4. rjkap1 macrumors newbie

It Works!!!

Thanks for that Phialak. I had the same problem with Times New Roman, and now it's all back to normal :)

I can keep my sanity now.

5. lolek macrumors newbie

Working!

Thanks Phialak! It would take me a long time to found out how to get rid of the stupid Times New Roman font keeping bothering me. :)

6. Ecrire macrumors newbie