Word of the day: Patience

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by Westside guy, Oct 22, 2013.

1. Westside guy macrumors 601

Westside guy

I see a fair number of people complaining about Mavericks' speed, so I'm throwing my $0.02 in (why not, everyone else is!).

I updated my early 2011 13" MacBook Pro (4 GB RAM) to Mavericks, and for the first hour or so... what a dog! It was just unbelievably, painfully, slow. But, eventually, all the background re-indexing and compression finished - now it's running fine.

Some people are responding to complainers with a knee-jerk "you should always do a clean install". Honestly, you should almost never have to do that with any modern OS under normal circumstances; but saying that seems to be the latest iteration of sage advice like "rebuild your desktop" or "repair permissions". :D

Just upgrade to Mavericks, be patient, and everything will likely be fine.

2. rcpilot44 macrumors newbie

Upgrade

I totally agree!!!!! While a few May have problems and million more won't.

3. MacInTheCrack macrumors member

Great advice. So far so good for me. I've installed in on my MBP and my wife's MBA and both were flawless. I hope everyone else has the same good experience I have.

4. Patriot24 macrumors 68030

Patriot24

One of the cool new tricks in Mavericks is that when you click on the battery icon in the menu bar, it shows you a list of Apps Using Significant Energy. Not surprisingly, Spotlight was in that list for about the first 2 hours. As soon as it disappeared from the list (likely because it had completed indexing), everything smoothed out and is now lightning fast.

5. Troneas macrumors 65816

Troneas

mine lists google chorme.

should i get rid of it?

6. Patriot24 macrumors 68030

Patriot24

Heh, my point was simply that Macs tend to be sluggish in the early hours after a major upgrade. To the OP's point, typically things iron out and all is well.

7. DaReal_Dionysus macrumors regular

DaReal_Dionysus

I upgraded today and everything was lagging. Had to reset CS6 and other programs. once that was done and everything initialized I have been running flawlessly. The only issue I having was my preview monitor had bad resolution. For some reason Mavericks wouldn't show the right one. A quick install of SwitchRes fixed that issue. Run the install (I upgraded) and it's be perfectly stable like tiger used to be.

8. Troneas macrumors 65816

Troneas

what do you mean by "resetting cs6?"

i too have photoshop cs6 - how does "resetting" it help? and how did you do it?

9. DaReal_Dionysus macrumors regular

DaReal_Dionysus

Troneas,

If you have a workspace already setup and the workspace uses multiple monitors, CS 6 has a problem at first setting that up. So hold down alt, cmd and shift when you launch photoshop and it will ask if you would like to reset preferences, select yes. Now photoshop will launch in in the default workspace and and you can reset your workspace then. The next time you launch it should work find. It does take a few minutes to initialize but then it's all good to. Loads a little show but is filly function and renders fine.

If you have any further issues let me know, i will do my best to assist.

Dionysus