Word/Paragraph marker/missing text on Print

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by billdav, Sep 26, 2008.

1. billdav macrumors newbie

A friend was typing meeting minutes and thinks about 1/2 way through she clicked on the paragraph marker. She continued to the end and when trying to print, the last two pages disappeared. I asked her to email copy and when I clicked on the "P" marked the text would appear/disappear. The text in the last two pages had a dotted underline for all the remaining text.

I use the beginning "format" and applied to what would be the missing text and all was OK. The only difference I could see on the formatting pallet was the beginning (good part) was "normal + justified" in the Styles and "normal" in the problem area.

Any ideas as to what happened?

Thanks.

Bill

2. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Sometimes I've used a save as plain text to eliminate strange formatting people leave in a problem document, cut and pasted that file's text into a new blank page and quickly formatted the text again.

Though I usually also have to get rid of all the hard formatting they do with multiple spaces, space + tabs, multiple tabs, etc. they use instead of simply using the ruler and the tabs to get things to line up.

---

aka, I don't even try to figure out how somebody broke a document ... sometimes it is simply easier to reformat it.

3. nadyne macrumors 6502a

Can you post screenshots of what happened?

Regards,
    Nadyne.

4. billdav thread starter macrumors newbie

Screen shots

I've been calling it the paragraph marker but in Word is says "show all none printing characters."

You can see the little dots below the words with the "P" on and they won't print.

2nd shot is "P" off.

Attached Files:

5. billdav thread starter macrumors newbie

Key combination to activate "hidden effects"?

After more research I have found under Format -> Fonts in the next window you can check box to hide text.

Knowing that my friend did not do that, my question now is, is there a key combination one can use or somewhere one can click to turn this feature on? The manual says one cannot do this from the "format" palette.

Thanks, Bill