Word Password Recovery

Stridder44

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 24, 2003
California
Im trying to recover a Word document that is password protected. Is there any freeware that will do this? I don't care what the solution is, I just want it to be free. Is there anything that can be done? Im having alot of trouble

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
I moved your thread to the proper forum. Perhaps people will see it here and have advice about this.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
There must be a way to do this, because there are commercial services that sell it.

That doesn't say much for the safety of document passwords. Assuming their services really work.

wackymacky

macrumors 68000
Sep 20, 2007
38°39′20″N 27°13′10″W
Yes there are ways to do it, though they depend on what ver. of office they were created in. (most involve changing the doc/docx file into a different format then changing the file in a script editor to remove the password.)

You may end up with a plain-text file with formatting lost.

This isn't a hacking forum though so enough said

Google around as there are solutions freely available.

Make sure you back up the file first however in case you corrupt it.

joejoejoe

macrumors 65816
Sep 13, 2006
Yes there are ways to do it, though they depend on what ver. of office they were created in. (most involve changing the doc/docx file into a different format then changing the file in a script editor to remove the password.)

You may end up with a plain-text file with formatting lost.

This isn't a hacking forum though so enough said

Google around as there are solutions freely available.

Make sure you back up the file first however in case you corrupt it.
Thanks wacky,

I tried googling to no avail. Are there any specific sites/programs you have in mind?

Thanks

joejoejoe

macrumors 65816
Sep 13, 2006
What version of word is the file written in. Does it contain any macros?
Wrote it in an older version of word (04 I believe?) but upgraded to Office 08. I don't think it contains any macros, all I did was password protect it.