Word Processing for a newbie...

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Poseidon, Feb 8, 2008.

1. Poseidon macrumors regular

Poseidon

I'm a first time Mac-Buyer and as part of my preparation for buying a new iMac (24 inches! :D) later today I've been checking out the various forums for recommendations and suggestions.

For the most part they've been very helpful - enabled me to narrow down my choices for hardware, options and other items (Thanks all!).

One area I'm having problems with is software - even though I've done some extensive reading of the various software recommendation threads, I've found myself overwhelmed since in some cases I find that I don't know what I might need or what programs do (for example, the Torrent software).

Anyway, I know that on the very basic level I'll need some sort of Word Processing software. The reviews I've seen about Office seem mixed at best and I'm not very familiar with either IWork (?) or NeoOffice. Any thoughts or suggestions?

2. eluk macrumors 6502a

eluk

NeoOffice is free so try it for yourself. Quite a few are more than happy with it.

3. tersono macrumors 68000

tersono

Don't bother with MS Office. If you need MS compatibility, go for NeoOffice (which I use at work daily) or, (better yet, but not free) Nisus Writer Pro. If compatibility with MS is less important, then iWork is a pleasure to use - and can still export to MS formats if you need to (the other two can save to Word format by default).

4. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

My vote goes for NeoOffice also,it's a bit ugly but it does what it says on the tin

5. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

TextEdit comes on your Mac. I do 90% of my work in TextEdit.

Then I do about 8% of my work in Pages '08. It's great software; fast and not-bloated. Useful when you need more features than TextEdit.

The remaining 2% is probably spent in TextWrangler... it's good for code and other plain-text-only uses.

I don't have MS Word on my computer. Not for about a year now.

6. kem macrumors newbie

kem

Have you tried google docs? It works really well, and you can access your docs anytime, anywhere there is a internet connection since its online based. I find it works great and imports Office documents fine. I was also impressed with its spreadsheet functionality and it even imported my excel sheets.

http://docs.google.com/

7. BlakTornado Guest

BlakTornado

Bean! Free, simple and really good :D

Faster than NeoOffice, cheaper than both MS office and iWork. (Although install the demos and see if you like them - MS office also gives you a load of free Fonts, even if you uninstall MS Office demo :D)

8. cdcastillo macrumors 6502a

cdcastillo

I also recommend trying iWork 08, MS Office and NeoOffice. The last is free, the others have 30 days demos, so you have nothing to lose by trying.

In my computer, I use iWork 08. I didn't bother with MS Office since I got this new baby (2 months of use). And I haven't needed it since.