Word Processing Freeware?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Solemony, Dec 8, 2008.

1. Solemony macrumors 6502

Solemony

Is there any word processing out there that is for the MB and is a freeware? I just notice apple doesn't put appleworks on these new MB anymore and I need word processing to do homework or type essays. Any recommendations would be grateful :)! Thanks

2. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

I use ABiWord. Works well for me.

EDIT: Changed download link, sorry about that.:)

3. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

TextEdit? Comes on your Mac?

OpenOffice, NeoOffice...

4. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Or Bean... you can Google it

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

5. Solemony thread starter macrumors 6502

Solemony

Thanks. Appreciated :)

Just making sure which one is better so it doesn't crash on me occasionally :)

6. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I think OpenOffice (version 3.0 in Aqua) is probably the best of the options right now... unless you want something specific, it's really full featured and does everything you'd really want in Office apps (not just word processing but spreadsheeting, presentations, etc).

AbiWord has some really strong followers. The biggest problem is that the Mac version is not officially supported, and so it's kind of hit or miss who makes what port available. I've seen an Intel version floating around, but you have to Google for it, and it doesn't even have a homepage of its own, AFAIK.

7. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

Something I noticed is, they used to have a link for a Mac download on their homepage, but its disappeared as of late.

Open Office is OK, but I think it's a bit slow loading. NeoOffice is probably one of the best Office suites out there.

Bean is decent I suppose, I don't really care for it, but I don't hate it either.

8. noakail macrumors newbie

I recommend neoOffice for Mac. I used it before I got MS Office for $20 for being in the Military.

9. sclough macrumors regular

+1 for OpenOffice 3.0. I used to use NeoOffice, but have now with the 3.0 Aqua release I've crossed over. I haven't had any problems and the speed is certainly decent on my MBP.

10. kfordham281 macrumors 6502

Bean was decent when I tried it sometime last year. Simple, decent UI, and free.

11. ltldrummerboy macrumors 68000

ltldrummerboy

12. Zuplar macrumors regular

Zuplar

to head in another direction here something i use a lot and find useful is Google Docs. it lacks some "fancy" features that the other office suites have but i write a lot of my papers for school on it and it does the job fine. plus everything is stored online so you can access it from anywhere. if you like that idea and want more features zoho.com offers more features and is similar. just another thought.

13. QueenZ macrumors 6502

QueenZ

I would personally like to recommend you OpenOffice.org from Sun. It's the best free word precossing program ever and it's getting better :)

14. Trip.Tucker Guest

First time I've heard of Bean and it works very well. I have only tried some of the more basic functions, but it's pretty damn nice so far.

15. John T macrumors 68020

John T