Word processing software with annotation but not MS Word?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by kylera, Mar 13, 2016.

1. kylera macrumors 65816

kylera

I'm thinking along the lines of commenting MS Word-style - highlight some text, and see additional comments for that text in a separate column - in an app like Ulysses or the stock Notes.

What I am envisioning is this: I copy an article into an entry. Then, I highlight different words or phrases, and I tack on a translated equivalent for that word or phrase. Eventually, I can see the whole article and I can choose to show or hide all (or select) comments or annotations.

I don't care for page layout and separate files.

An iPad companion app would also be nice if possible. Price is no issue because this app will get daily, productive use.

2. MacGizmo macrumors 6502a

MacGizmo

Apple's Pages app will do this, as will virtually any other word processor. You could also try OpenOffice (a free version of MS Office), though it's probably overkill for your needs.

3. kylera thread starter macrumors 65816

kylera

Right, but I really like how apps like Evernote or the stock Notes have each document or note on the left column listed out. Hence my desire to look for an alternative. I also would rather not maintain separate .doc/.pages files if possible.

To further explain, a word processing or notetaking/note arranging app that has the interface of Notes and allows the addition of annotations/comments.

4. liya1201 macrumors member

OmniOutliner...

5. jojoba macrumors 68000

Another vote for OmniOutliner.
    I also used to use Circus Ponies Notebooks for this purpose, but unfortunately they shut down.

6. MacGizmo macrumors 6502a

MacGizmo

Microsoft OneNote (I don't use it, but I think it'll do what you're wanting it to).