Word processing software?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Ardea, Nov 19, 2008.

1. Ardea macrumors newbie

Hi, newbie here. I am seriously considering getting OUT of Windows and into a Mac. I shopped around yesterday and found a desktop system that looked good. The salesperson told me that it does not come with a word processor that is any more than a basic text editor.

I am not interested in investing in the full, current version of Word, but I do need something that will format with bulleted lists and other simple formatting tools (the ability to open a Word document would be convenient, though). I checked Ebay for older versions of Word that might be inexpensive, but no luck. Can anyone suggest an alternative to Word? I found Mariner Write for $60, which is not too highly priced--is that a good program? Anything better, or as good for less?

ANY advice would be appreciated!

2. dubhe macrumors 65816

dubhe

3. Ardea thread starter macrumors newbie

Yikes! Not only was that a FAST response, but PERFECT!:D

Openoffice looks ideal. I'm really getting excited about this switch in systems, but also a bit daunted. I've been with Windows since DOS, but Vista really is that bad, and enough is enough.

Thank you so much!

4. dubhe macrumors 65816

dubhe

You're welcome, any other queries come back to MacRumors, we were all newbies once ;)

5. emt1 macrumors 65816

I switched (back) to Mac around 3 years ago. I have never regretted that decision, even for a moment. Post if you have any questions!