Word Processor for Mac

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by McToma, Aug 1, 2008.

1. McToma macrumors newbie

I am looking for a word processor for my computer. I have read some pretty bad reviews of Microsoft Office and do not wish to gum up my computer with their whole suite of products (or waste the money for all of them) either.

What is a good all around word processor for Mac that will be able to handle the needs of a university student writing essays and research papers, etc?

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

NeoOffice is free and compatible with Office

Or you can try Bean for free too

Or iWork and Pages is good and not too expensive

Edit: I was going to post the links, but you can just Google NeoOffice or Bean

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

3. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

iWork or NeoOffice.

4. muldul macrumors 6502

Before i got office (love, can't live without it) i used neooffice, very handy and free

5. bashveank macrumors member

My vote goes to iWork, it's relatively cheap and at the least, as good as MSOffice.

6. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

7. McToma thread starter macrumors newbie

I am leaning towards iWork. Looks like a good all around package. Thanks for the input.

8. James17 macrumors 6502

I got the full version of Office 2008 for £35/$69 being a student. This offer was through a UK software company for students. I don't know where you're from or if you're a student but it's worth a shout.

9. snberk103 macrumors 603

Try 'em first

All of the above are free or have trials..... try them first. One thing you may need to do is find out from your University about their policy on footnotes and citations. When my wife did her masters they had a very rigourous template for citations and footnotes. She ended up using MS Office because their template worked with it.

Good Luck and Study Hard!

10. BenEndeem macrumors 6502

I'd recommend iWork, Office is too expensive and value for money appears non-existent.

11. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

At $150 for MS Office 2008 Home and Student it isn't as insulting as it used to be.

Though the discounts still suck for the Mac version compared to the Windows version.

12. Galley macrumors 65816

Galley

13. kitki83 macrumors 6502a

This is my problem with Neo Office when I layout text in neo and viewed PC Office there where a lot of weird changes happened first fonts changed (was using Arial) and bullet points changed to asterisks. My question is does iWorks keep the word document consistent when opened between neo and office etc.

This matters most for me when I send out my resume want to keep a consistent layout.

Also student price is 30-40 at your local school if I recall right?

14. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Why not create a .pdf for your resume?

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

15. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

Use Office, mainly for its compatibility and its powerful excel. If those aren't your concern. Get a free abiword or openoffice, why spend $$$ at all if not necessary?

16. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

If you're looking for a word processor, your only choice is Pages (from iWork).

NeoOffice and MS Office's Word are just a text editor software.

17. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

now that's unnecessary game of words. LOL. we don't need to redefine everything to make constructive suggestions to OP.

18. jwp333 macrumors member

How about a little love for the OpenOffice Aqua 3.0 beta 2? I can't say that I've done extensive work with it, but it seemed to open my NeoOffice stuff with no problems and it's a hell of a lot faster too.

19. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

Your choice, keep using incorrect terms...

20. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

there is nothing incorrect about it. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Word_processor

If you want to belittle other products from non-apple vendors, you can list pros and cons one by one and people will understand your message. There is no need to redefine the terms "word processor, text editor", everybody understands what the OP's question is. Do we really need this type of off topic game of word?

21. Sam Yikin macrumors regular

22. exegete77 macrumors 6502a

Nisus Writer Pro and Mellel are both excellent word processors.

23. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

Microsoft Word is not a text editor. A text editor is something like Smultron, BBEdit or Text Wrangler.

Word is most definitely a word processor. It formats text, has a spell checker, allows you to layout text and perform other processing tasks. None of these features are available (except maybe a spell check) in a pure text editor.

24. ghall macrumors 68040

ghall

Another vote for iWork. It's reasonably priced (and since you're a student, be sure to get the discount), and is very good. In can export to and import from Microsoft Word documents as well.

25. StoneRelics macrumors newbie

+1 Mellel
    Its great if the majority of your work is academic writing.

But if you need everything else including a word processor than iWork is the way to go