Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Word processor that will allow me to print text backwards


macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 13, 2019
Hi all,

I need to make a sign on a clear full sheet label, so that It can be adhered to the inside glass on a door. In any event I need to be able print this sign such that the type reads right to left out of the printer, so that it will read left to right when put on the door. I have Microsoft Word 2011 for Mac and Pages for iOS. Is there a way to do this with of these programs or is there another hopefully free program that will allow me to do this.

Thanks in advance


macrumors 68040
Apr 17, 2012
Destin, FL
GIMP (free image processing) will do it quite easily. I've never tried it with a word processor.
Pages should be able to do it by converting text to object and then just reversing it.


Staff member
Aug 9, 2009
I'd do this using my Print dialog. It would work in any app that can print, including Mail or web browsers.

Many laser printers can flip horizontally or vertically with a single setting change, typically presented as a checkbox. Look under the layout options of the Print dialog.

I use a Brother laser printer with no special driver. Maybe you can identify your printer model, and someone else who has that model can say whether there are "flip" options present in the Print dialog for that printer.

Another possibility is to Print to a PDF file, then open in and do a horizonal flip there.
  • Like
Reactions: chabig and dwig
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.