Word Processors - Comparing

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by andylyon, Oct 16, 2009.

1. andylyon macrumors 6502a

andylyon

I've searched but haven't found a definitive answer, as simple as the question is.

I need a word processor, I have Pages '08 but am not really a fan after being used to MS Office 2003 for so long, and now 2007. Office for Mac is a route I don't want to go, so my choice choice is a straight split between NeoOffice and OpenOffice.

Has anyone got opinions of both of these. I read NeoOffice used to be better for Mac support but now also OpenOffice is a native program. Thoughts anyone?

Cheers,
    AnDy

2. robanga macrumors 68000

robanga

I am both an Office 2008 (also 2007 on Windows) and Pages 09 user, but have tested both Neo and Open.

Not extensive testing, but tested none the less. I would choose OpenOffice, for me it feels more useable. I like the UI better.

3. spaceballl macrumors 68030

spaceballl

Openoffice and Neooffice aren't that different, at this point... They are both based on the same word processor so you will find more in common than different. I prefer openoffice, but my girlfriend prefers neooffice. Just download them both and see what you like better.

4. Angelo95210 macrumors 6502a

Angelo95210

I have used Pages as well but I am not so fond of it. For design I prefer to use InDesign.

So I now use MS Word, which is not so bad even if it's MS. And moreover everybody has it, so it's flexible to exchange files.

I like NeoOffice as well but I always prefer to use software with its native file format, and my partner doesn't use it.

NeoOffice is in my opinion a better choice on Mac as it has been developed since a long time for Macs. OpenOffice has not such a background and when I tested it there were some bugs.

5. andylyon thread starter macrumors 6502a

andylyon

Cheers for the advice [so far] I think I am going to give OpenOffice a try.

AnDy

6. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

:confused::confused::confused:

Care to explain this a little more?