Word Processors for MacOS 9?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by MrCheeto, May 6, 2010.

1. MrCheeto macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

I'm just wanting a free word processor for OS 9. I was happy using Bean on my white iBook, but I now have a Clamshell iBook that I've designated as my OS 9 machine.

I want something that can stand to a standard file type that will be lossless when it comes to sizing and formatting. I understand there were a lot of HTML-based editors back in those days :p but I don't want to have to deal with converting.

More specifically, I'd like something like WriteRoom! Something that takes over your entire display for nothing but a mere word processor.

Free is the name of the game, so what have you got?

2. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

3. MrCheeto thread starter macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

AppleWorks is paid :p

Wow! Word Perfect seems to be perfect! My only question is the formats it supports, which I can't seem to find.

4. Fishrrman macrumors G5

Fishrrman

You might also try to find an older copy of Mariner Write.

Very nice WP application!

5. mysterytramp macrumors 65816

mysterytramp

I still have a lot of my OS 9 (and earlier) software.

WriteNow was one of the best word processors ever invented. Wicked fast and the best table creator ever made. I thought its approach to styles was far superior to anything I've seen since. I believe it saved to its native format, text and RTF files.

Apple/ClarisWorks had a very nice word processor (along with the other modules).

As I recall, Word 5 wasn't horrible. After 5, the program bloated into the monster we see today.

mt